Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Anne-Louise Robertson
    Welcome to a bi-cultural Aotearoa!
    23 August
    Public discussion Created by Anne-Louise Robertson

Kia ora

Do people consider that schools are a microcosm of NZ society? And if they are, do they reflect what is modelled in society?  I was formally welcomed to this country, as a citizen along with 131 other new New Zealanders, a couple of weeks ago. This is my reflection of the ceremony.

Listening to what Janelle had to say about what schools look, sound and feel like from the lens of a Māori parent it made me wonder about what a typical NZ street/town looks, sounds and feels like. What do we see, hear and feel?  In most places there doesn't seem to be an equal presence of Māori and European/English. Lip service is often paid to protocol and tikanga as in my citizenship ceremony and leaders of this country struggle to be truly culturally responsive.  So, in many ways, I think schools do reflect what is modelled in society. My wondering is what the role of schools is in shifting thinking about what partnership means and how do we support principals, BoT, teachers and the community in that role?  

I look forward to the conversation.

Ngā mihi

Thank you for sharing your story Anne - a real wero (challenge) for us all to think about in our mahi. I'd be interested to hear how mainstream schools are making shifts to show cultural partnerships in everyday ways of working. I'll put out a call on Twitter and see what comes back to us here in this kōrero too. smiley

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Aug 28

Thank you for sharing your story Anne - a real wero (challenge) for us all to think about in our mahi. I'd be interested to hear how mainstream schools are making shifts to show cultural partnerships in everyday ways of working. I'll put out a call on Twitter and see what comes back to us here in this kōrero too. smiley

Latest news
      • Connected Educator Update September 2017
        Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the very first pānui for Connected Educator New Zealand.    What's new? This year Connected Educator Aotearoa New Zealand (CENZ) is back and bigger than ever, as a year-long event. What is Connected Educator New...
      • CORE Ten Trends
        CORE Ten Trends
        Join us at 4pm on Monday 4 September for a Facebook Live session with Derek Wenmoth as he introduces us to the first in a series of CORE Ten Trends session. This Monday Derek will focus on The Cultural Trends, Learner Agency and Artificial Intelligence!   You may wish to download...
      • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2017
        Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2017
        Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the very first pānui for edSpace mō te marama Mahuru and the first day of Spring! This is our monthly round-up celebrating your kōrero (voice), your whakaaro (ideas), your ako (learning). edSpace is very new and still in it's...
      Event calendar