Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Pip Brunn
    Enabling Good Lives
    26 August
    Public discussion Created by Pip Brunn

Kia Ora Koutou.

As part of my life outside in the big wide world, i am on the mid-central leadership group for "Enabling good lives"

You can find it here http://www.enablinggoodlives.co.nz 

There has been 2 Pilot progames for EGL one in Christchurch and one in Waikato.

The government has now signed off and committed to a whole systems transformation in disability support services and attitudes towards disability across the board, looking at disability in a different way to promote the possibilities of a "Good Life" and what this means for individuals and their whanau.

No longer will our mokopuna and whanau be assessed in the deficit model to access support, our aspirations will be considered and support provided to reach our aspirations.

We all know how important equity is, it is quite different to equality,

Individuals require different levels of support to enable them to access equity.

How is this seen in the professional sector, what can be done to support equity to occur?

From personal experience i know that professionals are restrained by the rules, regulations and criteria they are bound to abide by when providing support services.

Would love to hear some real suggestions, ideas and strategies from across the sector on how equity and inclusion can be achieved, I may be able to use this information to feed into the work that we are doing.

The leadership group is made up of 3 whanau members, 5 disabled adults, 2 tangata whenua whanau,and 3 providers.

Here is a little story to get you going.

My daughter Lucy is 19 next week, she is profoundly deaf and has a rare chromosome disorder, all her life we believed that we would never be able to get cochlear implants because she was severely intellectually impaired, being told by an Itinerant teacher of the deaf that Lucy had no capacity to learn and would be a waste,  once i realised that this person had stopped making an effort to get the best out of my child i asked that she not return. a Few years later when Lucy was 12 , she had lost the rest of her hearing, none of us knew because Lucy was responding well and understanding as best as she can, because of her intellectual delay our expectations were not that high, needless to say it was a shock to find out there was nothing left.

The idea of a cochlear implant was mentioned and i repeated what i had been told and believed to be true from the "Profesional" who had decided that my child was not worth the effort.

It only took 1 person to believe in her for her life to change, while it took another 4 years for Lucy to receive Cochlear implants, they have in fact changed her life.She is a talented horse rider and dancer, if you want to see her she has her own facebook page, just look for Lucy Brunn and you will find her somewhere.

Why am i sharing this?

It takes 1 person to change a life and it doesn't matter who that person is,

1 person to take down a persons hope, 1 person to give it back.

Anyone can be that person.

Hi Greg I went to this link but it didn't come up.

I am really keen to hear how inclusion and equity is working in schools and in ECE and where there are struggles.All the documentation and research in the world is nothing like real life!

- By Pip Brunn
      • Pip Brunn
        By Pip Brunn
        Sep 4

Hi Greg I went to this link but it didn't come up.

I am really keen to hear how inclusion and equity is working in schools and in ECE and where there are struggles.All the documentation and research in the world is nothing like real life!

• Greg Carroll
          By Greg Carroll
          Sep 1

Thought this was worth sharing in this context too ... popped up in my feed this morning.... https://www.facebook.com/wearewisdo/videos/989558217853422/ 

• Pip Brunn
            By Pip Brunn
            Aug 30

There are so many stories like Lucy are are not told, and so many that shouldnt need to occur,Listening to parents, and believing that all children are worth it regardless of their challenges, none of this needs to cost money, and regardless of personal opinions about children, they are still at the heart .

In the new system individuals wont need a diagnoses to access the support they need.

There is a whole lot of work that needs to be done, and for the 1 person like me who can talk about it, there are 1000 more that cant, these people need a voice.

Someone to bat on their behalf, someone to do some of the work for them.

• Tessa Gray
              By Tessa Gray
              Aug 30

Oh my goodness Pip, this sent shivers up my spine reading this story. I'm sorry for you and your whānau, I'm also feeling the most grief for the time lost and the injustices for Lucy. I see the progress is worth celebrating in her Facebook page. 

Thank you for being so honest to share your story. Aside from the fact that our children have human rights to accessible access to learning, Lucy had rights to communicate effectively - to be understood. Thank you also for sharing the Good lives initiative, I hadn't heard of that before.

You talk about how individuals require different levels of support to enable them to access equity and acknowledged the challenges professionals have, but what call for action would you encourage from us as educators - teachers, leaders, facilitators in schools? ie: Something that doesn't involve money or policy, could be a social action, idea or strategy? For example, what might have helped Lucy sooner? frown

Latest news
            • Connected Educator Update September 2017
              Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the very first pānui for Connected Educator New Zealand.    What's new? This year Connected Educator Aotearoa New Zealand (CENZ) is back and bigger than ever, as a year-long event. What is Connected Educator New...
            • CORE Ten Trends
              CORE Ten Trends
              Join us at 4pm on Monday 4 September for a Facebook Live session with Derek Wenmoth as he introduces us to the first in a series of CORE Ten Trends session. This Monday Derek will focus on The Cultural Trends, Learner Agency and Artificial Intelligence!   You may wish to download...
            • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2017
              Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2017
              Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the very first pānui for edSpace mō te marama Mahuru and the first day of Spring! This is our monthly round-up celebrating your kōrero (voice), your whakaaro (ideas), your ako (learning). edSpace is very new and still in it's...
            Event calendar