Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Nicki Tempero
    How are you using Seesaw in your school?
    23 November
    Public discussion Created by Nicki Tempero

Many teachers are asking about how schools, teachers and teams are implementing Seesaw into their programmes. How are you integrating Seesaw into your programme and what tips and tricks have you got to share?

Nicki

Hi Viv

thanks for joining in... 

I completely agree that the teaching and modelling is so important when blogging to encourage parents and whanau to join in. Its generally easy to get verbal feedback from parents, the hard part is encouraging them to write a comment on the posts. Taking away the barriers is a start.

Linda Yollis blogs were my go to place for blogging info and ideas when I was blogging with my class, clever person !

:)

- By Nicki Tempero
      • Allanah King
        By Allanah King
        Jan 31

To supplement Nicki's ideas I made a copy of this sheet I found on Twitter and made it into a more kiwi version. It is open to edit so people could add more ideas to it too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15NaSDQ_ITk4BQfJEkEf71jZrzjz41aUdXb9oBokmpNg/edit

Seesaw Many Ways

• Nicki Tempero
          By Nicki Tempero
          Jan 31

Some possible activities for the beginning of the year

• students record their mihi
          • read a page of their reading book 
          • share a story they have written
          • take photos of the classroom to share with parents - especially for those unable to come into the classsroom
          • sharing goals for the year 
          • any initial assessents
          • general photos of the children at work and play
          • students take photos and videos to practise the skills ( dont need to be uploaded)
          • introducing themselves, add a photo
          • experiment with drawing, microphone labels 

what activities are  you doing to begin the year ?

• Nicki Tempero
            By Nicki Tempero
            Dec 7

Many schools I have worked with to establish Seesaw have also had positive feedback from parents. The main comments have been  - its easy to use and they like seeing up to date student work.

Having the students provide feedback to each other and to include questions has increased students engagement , however teachers are finding it difficult to find time . One school in particular has included Seesaw into their reading and writing rotations - to read and make comments as well as adding posts. Teaching students how to comment is important. To move past the "cool" and "awesome" stage can be easily scaffolded through developing ,with the students, possible statements or questions to ask and 3 likes and a wish type comments that they can copy or even copy and paste from a doc.

Once Seesaw is integrated rather than being a special Seesaw time many teachers have found it less time consuming. 

A few simple ways to encourage parent/ whanau participation

• have the students post frequently 
            • remind parents through newsletters
            • seesaw fridge magnet
            • keeping the children excited about using Seesaw 
            • have a parent session to show the why and how about Seesaw
            • share with parents a list of possibly comments - for some it will take away a barrier of wondering what to write 

just some thoughts ....

• Allanah King
              By Allanah King
              Dec 7

I think spending time actively teaching commenting- maybe with a commenting wall display to provide examples of what constructive commenting looks like.

Cool......

versus

I liked it when you..... When I tried that...... I was wondering...... How did you etc....

I think also the teacher has to be on their game to have a quick turnaround of moderating commenting and approving posting.

No one wants to read old conversations that are no longer relevant or timely!

• Katrina Laurie
                By Katrina Laurie
                Dec 5

Some schools I work alongside with have identified that parent feedback is positive- they love having this connection with their child's learning. But, how do we increase the participation and engagement in the learning conversations instead of 'that's cool' or 'well done'. 

One school has taken to encouraging the students to ask questions in their posts. For example, a year 1 class were posting about the growing patterns they had been learning about in Maths (Algebra). In the posts the students drew their created growing pattern (with the draw tool) and asked the parents to guess what the pattern was. 

Does anyone else have strategies they use or an idea to try out- how to increase the engagement and participation in learning conversations between students, teachers and parents/whānau?

Latest news
              • Treaty Talks
                Treaty Talks
                As Waitangi Day commemorations approach, it's important to reflect on what this day means to us in Aotearoa New Zealand. This week, we'll be bringing you Treaty Talks, a kete of valuable blogs and resources, looking at culture, identity and language, with a particular focus on Te Tiriti o...
              • Ki te Ao | February
                Ki te Ao | February
                Grab a cuppa and have a read of our first newsletter for the year for handy information about the Educator's Wellbeing Toolkit, Waitangi Day activities and more http://bit.ly/2GyaQro
              • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-Tanguru 2018
                Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-Tanguru 2018
                Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to the New Year, school and our edSpace pānui mō te marama Hui-Tanguru, our monthly round-up for February 2018. At a quick glance, there are: 1501 edSpace members, 645 users in edSpace last week alone 181,384 page views since July...
              Event calendar