Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Nicki Tempero
    How are you using Seesaw in your school?
    23 November
    Public discussion Created by Nicki Tempero

Many teachers are asking about how schools, teachers and teams are implementing Seesaw into their programmes. How are you integrating Seesaw into your programme and what tips and tricks have you got to share?

Nicki

Many schools I have worked with to establish Seesaw have also had positive feedback from parents. The main comments have been  - its easy to use and they like seeing up to date student work.

Having the students provide feedback to each other and to include questions has increased students engagement , however teachers are finding it difficult to find time . One school in particular has included Seesaw into their reading and writing rotations - to read and make comments as well as adding posts. Teaching students how to comment is important. To move past the "cool" and "awesome" stage can be easily scaffolded through developing ,with the students, possible statements or questions to ask and 3 likes and a wish type comments that they can copy or even copy and paste from a doc.

Once Seesaw is integrated rather than being a special Seesaw time many teachers have found it less time consuming. 

A few simple ways to encourage parent/ whanau participation

• have the students post frequently 
    • remind parents through newsletters
    • seesaw fridge magnet
    • keeping the children excited about using Seesaw 
    • have a parent session to show the why and how about Seesaw
    • share with parents a list of possibly comments - for some it will take away a barrier of wondering what to write 

just some thoughts ....

- By Nicki Tempero
      • Katrina Laurie
        By Katrina Laurie
        Dec 5

Some schools I work alongside with have identified that parent feedback is positive- they love having this connection with their child's learning. But, how do we increase the participation and engagement in the learning conversations instead of 'that's cool' or 'well done'. 

One school has taken to encouraging the students to ask questions in their posts. For example, a year 1 class were posting about the growing patterns they had been learning about in Maths (Algebra). In the posts the students drew their created growing pattern (with the draw tool) and asked the parents to guess what the pattern was. 

Does anyone else have strategies they use or an idea to try out- how to increase the engagement and participation in learning conversations between students, teachers and parents/whānau?

• Allanah King
          By Allanah King
          Dec 7

I think spending time actively teaching commenting- maybe with a commenting wall display to provide examples of what constructive commenting looks like.

Cool......

versus

I liked it when you..... When I tried that...... I was wondering...... How did you etc....

I think also the teacher has to be on their game to have a quick turnaround of moderating commenting and approving posting.

No one wants to read old conversations that are no longer relevant or timely!

• Nicki Tempero
            By Nicki Tempero
            Dec 7

Many schools I have worked with to establish Seesaw have also had positive feedback from parents. The main comments have been  - its easy to use and they like seeing up to date student work.

Having the students provide feedback to each other and to include questions has increased students engagement , however teachers are finding it difficult to find time . One school in particular has included Seesaw into their reading and writing rotations - to read and make comments as well as adding posts. Teaching students how to comment is important. To move past the "cool" and "awesome" stage can be easily scaffolded through developing ,with the students, possible statements or questions to ask and 3 likes and a wish type comments that they can copy or even copy and paste from a doc.

Once Seesaw is integrated rather than being a special Seesaw time many teachers have found it less time consuming. 

A few simple ways to encourage parent/ whanau participation

• have the students post frequently 
            • remind parents through newsletters
            • seesaw fridge magnet
            • keeping the children excited about using Seesaw 
            • have a parent session to show the why and how about Seesaw
            • share with parents a list of possibly comments - for some it will take away a barrier of wondering what to write 

just some thoughts ....

Latest news
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hakihea 2017
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hakihea 2017
            BULA, tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the edSpace pānui mō te marama Hakihea. This is our monthly round-up for the beginning of December celebrating activity from across our edSpace community. What's new?   Feel free to join in with the following...
          • LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace
            LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace
            LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace, 22 November, 3.45pm - 4.45pm   So you want to create or build a community group in edSpace? That’s great news! You’ve got an audience in mind - mentees, colleagues, school or learning community (CoL) and...
          • Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients!
            Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients!
            Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients! We are very excited to be able to support all these amazing projects! Dr Vince Ham eFellowship: - Julia Bevin, Paekakariki School - Hingangaroa Smith, Te Kura Māori o Porirua - Jacqueline Yoder, Linwood College - Bevan Holloway,...
          Event calendar