Nicki Tempero
    Hour of Code
    29 November
    Public discussion Created by Nicki Tempero

The hour of Code is the 4-10 December .

What resources do you have to share?

What tools are you using ?

Kia ora Nicole, thanks for sharing.

I like you are trying activities without devices and tools. I've been running sessions with "coding" students , they love it at any age. Many students and teachers need to physically move to understand the code before seeing it on screen.

One tool I use a lot are these blocks, see photos below. I have printed the blocks out for Scratch and Scratchjr and laminated them. The discussions, collaboration and thinking involved is so important for the process.

download.jpeg

- By Nicki Tempero
      • Nicki Tempero
        By Nicki Tempero
        Mar 8

Kia ora Nicole, thanks for sharing.

I like you are trying activities without devices and tools. I've been running sessions with "coding" students , they love it at any age. Many students and teachers need to physically move to understand the code before seeing it on screen.

One tool I use a lot are these blocks, see photos below. I have printed the blocks out for Scratch and Scratchjr and laminated them. The discussions, collaboration and thinking involved is so important for the process.

download.jpeg

• Darran Ingram
          By Darran Ingram
          Mar 8

Hi Everyone

Its been great to read the ideas so far and thanks for sharing the resources. I started to create a website a few years back when I was leading computer science at a primary level and made it an inquiry approach, blending literacy and maths through the process. I didn't finish the site off but it has photos of how solo taxonomy was used, hats thinking and linking across other curriculum areas such as the social sciences. Happy to explain more at any stage. The robotics drop down and images tab probably have the best info.  -   http://darraningram.wixsite.com/technology

• Tessa Gray
            By Tessa Gray
            Mar 8

Hi Nicole (Nicole Higby), that sounds so creative, I'd love to hear more about your lessons, well see it actually (photos etc), if you could share those here too? 

As we get ready to unpack and implement the new Digital Technologies part of the curriculum, it would be awesome to share examples of how people are integrating computational thinking into other curriculum areas - as both unplugged and plugged activities. 

It doesn't have to be all about the screens like this example of Teaching children to code without screens that helps younger learners with coding using a circuit and wooden block. What other unplugged activities are teachers introducing in their classrooms?

Shared from An Enabling e-Learning forum: Coding, digital literacy or a new kind of language? (VLN discussion).

• Nicole Higby
              By Nicole Higby
              Mar 8

Something I learnt at Mindlab was how to do things like creating codes physically by getting the students to use their bodies, as well as using programmes like Hour of Code. So the children can understand it and feel it as well. Also, it's a lot of fun. My students love Hour of Code, but I'm looking forward to trying the physical activities with them.

• edSpace
                By edSpace
                Dec 4

Thanks for alerting us to this Nicki. Lots of gold in the resource you've shared. Hour of code is a really cool way to shine the light on coding for a week, but also a great way for teachers to dip their toes in and see potential lessons for the classroom too.

There's some more ideas shared in the previous years by teachers here too, including Interactive Holiday Cards - Scratch Hour of Code Activity -possible for some keen beans if they could do this at home as well.

If I was a teacher just starting out for the first time looking at hour of code, where would you recommend I start... that's not too overwhelming? Tess

• Nicki Tempero
                  By Nicki Tempero
                  Nov 29

New resources found on twitter -

contains links to resources, extension activities, projects and reflection activities 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WrGQfTA6_F59K8lbNMTHH6VolghEdIcHV40ltt5RPU0/edit#slide=id.g32620fbebc74f79e_365

https://www.smore.com/0zcyj-the-hour-of-code-is-dec-4-10

Latest news
                • Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in Aotearoa: why it's a good fit
                  Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in Aotearoa: why it's a good fit
                  You've given us feedback in our survey that you'd like to see more support around meeting the diverse needs of learners. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is an approach that can guide inclusive design and practices. Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, and now a major feature of...
                • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
                  Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
                  Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to our edSpace pānui mō te marama Pipiri, our monthly round-up for June 2018. If you're new to edSpace, please feel free to become a member and join in the discussions. Exciting times, we celebrated edSpace turning one this...
                • Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
                  Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
                  There are only 4 spaces available for the July intake of our online course Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities.  This 20-week, online programme explores how our school communities might better reflect our bicultural heritage and give mana to Te Tiriti o...
                Event calendar