Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

edSpace
    The advantages of equity for disadvantaged students
    5 December
    Public discussion Created by edSpace

Here's some more gold from OECD community. Issues like equity and disparity in education are a global phenomena.

Education can be an engine of social inclusion. It can also help reduce broader social inequality. This can be the case if and only if all students, regardless of disadvantages, are given the same opportunity to succeed. What challenges do teachers face when teaching students from socio-economically disadvantaged homes? How can schools better support teachers in their efforts to provide equity?

Click the link to learn more about equity for all students. How does this relate to conditions for teaching and learning in Aotearoa? Please also share your experiences in this area by clicking Reply!

The advantages of equity for disadvantaged students_OECD

Kia ora koutou - I'm looking forward to reading this report in more depth. Thank you!

In the meantime, I've been thinking for some time about how Te Tiriti o Waitangi can be used as a medium for inclusion for all young people and communities. Recently I used digital tech as an example of how te Tiriti can be used in this medium to provide us with opportunities and challenges about inclusion in Aotearoa.

I like your question Justin! I'd like to assume we're involved in the education game because we're committed to creating a fair and just society, economy and revitalised natural world.

- By Alex Hotere-Barnes
      • Alex Hotere-Barnes
        By Alex Hotere-Barnes
        Dec 5

Kia ora koutou - I'm looking forward to reading this report in more depth. Thank you!

In the meantime, I've been thinking for some time about how Te Tiriti o Waitangi can be used as a medium for inclusion for all young people and communities. Recently I used digital tech as an example of how te Tiriti can be used in this medium to provide us with opportunities and challenges about inclusion in Aotearoa.

I like your question Justin! I'd like to assume we're involved in the education game because we're committed to creating a fair and just society, economy and revitalised natural world.

• Justin Hickey
          By Justin Hickey
          Dec 5

Fantastic discussion. I see this on a daily basis. I also see how different teachers interact with socio-economically disadvantaged students. This is a massive factor that underpins the broader issue of student wellbeing. I look forward to seeing where this discussion goes. Personally, I think we all need to ask ourselves the question, "what do we do to ensure we are nurturing an supporting student wellbeing for socio-economically disadvantaged students"?

Latest news
        • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hakihea 2017
          Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hakihea 2017
          BULA, tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the edSpace pānui mō te marama Hakihea. This is our monthly round-up for the beginning of December celebrating activity from across our edSpace community. What's new?   Feel free to join in with the following...
        • LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace
          LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace
          LIVE WEBINAR: Facilitating groups in edSpace, 22 November, 3.45pm - 4.45pm   So you want to create or build a community group in edSpace? That’s great news! You’ve got an audience in mind - mentees, colleagues, school or learning community (CoL) and...
        • Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients!
          Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients!
          Congratulations to CORE’s 2018 grants recipients! We are very excited to be able to support all these amazing projects! Dr Vince Ham eFellowship: - Julia Bevin, Paekakariki School - Hingangaroa Smith, Te Kura Māori o Porirua - Jacqueline Yoder, Linwood College - Bevan Holloway,...
        Event calendar