Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Rebbecca Sweeney
    Examples of Collaborative Practice & Play Based Learning
    2 March
    Public discussion Created by Rebbecca Sweeney

Sounds like a strange combination but many schools and kura I am working in are going through significant change towards more collaborative teaching practice while also implementing Play Based Learning - particularly in the Year 0-2 part of the school. 

Grow Waitaha has a great resource full of real examples. From this YouTube video about Play Based Learning in a Collaborative Environment at Halswell School you can go down a rabbit hole to other related videos on the right hand side. 

If you prefer to understand by seeing examples, these videos might be helpful to you and you might find you want to connect further with the people featured!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61btREDh80

Yes I agree with Maria, thanks for sharing Rebbecca. The Grow Waitaha videos (@FionnaW @ngairesw) are fantastic at showing students engaging and talking about their learning.

I recently shared the following video in the same series with a school, to demonstrate learner agency because they're wanting to design a more cohesive cross-curricula approach to learning, using teacher-led student inquiry as a framework. 

Next steps for us - how to make this seamless across the school, we'll probably come knocking for some more ideas around collaboration....

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 8

Yes I agree with Maria, thanks for sharing Rebbecca. The Grow Waitaha videos (Fionna Wright Ngaire Shepherd-Willsare fantastic at showing students engaging and talking about their learning.

I recently shared the following video in the same series with a school, to demonstrate learner agency because they're wanting to design a more cohesive cross-curricula approach to learning, using teacher-led student inquiry as a framework. 

Next steps for us - how to make this seamless across the school, we'll probably come knocking for some more ideas around collaboration....

• Maria Krausse
          By Maria Krausse
          Mar 2

Thanks for sharing these examples Rebbecca Sweeney. I am just starting work with a school using Play Based Learning and 1:1 ipads with the Manaiakalani Learn, Create, Share pedagogy.  I see a great fit with the PBL and LCS so will interesting to see what develops. 

Latest news
        • Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Join us for a webinar at 3.30pm on Thursday 27 September. Gain some tips to prepare for the conference, receive advice on what to do during and after uLearn, and make the most of your experience. Everyone is welcome, even if you're not attending uLearn – join the webinar on Zoom...
        • ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          SALE! Reduced for a limited time only! $12.00 (NZD)   Kīwaha or idioms are short colloquialisms in te reo Māori. These kīwaha can be used to encourage and/or celebrate achievements.   Product details:   Pack of 15x A6 sized laminated cards Cover card...
        • FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          Do you teach years 7-10? Would you like support in where to begin implementing the digital technologies curriculum content? Then CORE’s new FREE 4-week online course will do just that! Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10: A 2018 Google CS Educator PD Course, starts...
        Event calendar