Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Rebbecca Sweeney
    Examples of Collaborative Practice & Play Based Learning
    2 March
    Public discussion Created by Rebbecca Sweeney

Sounds like a strange combination but many schools and kura I am working in are going through significant change towards more collaborative teaching practice while also implementing Play Based Learning - particularly in the Year 0-2 part of the school. 

Grow Waitaha has a great resource full of real examples. From this YouTube video about Play Based Learning in a Collaborative Environment at Halswell School you can go down a rabbit hole to other related videos on the right hand side. 

If you prefer to understand by seeing examples, these videos might be helpful to you and you might find you want to connect further with the people featured!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61btREDh80

Yes I agree with Maria, thanks for sharing Rebbecca. The Grow Waitaha videos (@FionnaW @ngairesw) are fantastic at showing students engaging and talking about their learning.

I recently shared the following video in the same series with a school, to demonstrate learner agency because they're wanting to design a more cohesive cross-curricula approach to learning, using teacher-led student inquiry as a framework. 

Next steps for us - how to make this seamless across the school, we'll probably come knocking for some more ideas around collaboration....

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 8

Yes I agree with Maria, thanks for sharing Rebbecca. The Grow Waitaha videos (Fionna Wright Ngaire Shepherd-Willsare fantastic at showing students engaging and talking about their learning.

I recently shared the following video in the same series with a school, to demonstrate learner agency because they're wanting to design a more cohesive cross-curricula approach to learning, using teacher-led student inquiry as a framework. 

Next steps for us - how to make this seamless across the school, we'll probably come knocking for some more ideas around collaboration....

• Maria Krausse
          By Maria Krausse
          Mar 2

Thanks for sharing these examples Rebbecca Sweeney. I am just starting work with a school using Play Based Learning and 1:1 ipads with the Manaiakalani Learn, Create, Share pedagogy.  I see a great fit with the PBL and LCS so will interesting to see what develops. 

Latest news
        • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
          Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
          Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to our edSpace pānui mō te marama Pipiri, our monthly round-up for June 2018. If you're new to edSpace, please feel free to become a member and join in the discussions. Exciting times, we celebrated edSpace turning one this...
        • Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
          Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
          There are only 4 spaces available for the July intake of our online course Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities.  This 20-week, online programme explores how our school communities might better reflect our bicultural heritage and give mana to Te Tiriti o...
        • Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change
          Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change
          Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change A day of interactive, deep experiential learning, designed to help you activate for sustainable, ecological change and build learning futures that everyone deserves. Taking place the day before uLearn18, Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change...
        Event calendar