Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Angela Vermeulen
    #What is Real Learning?
    16 March
    Public discussion Created by Angela Vermeulen

Have you ever asked your students in your class "When does learning start and stop for you?" I think if you did you might be quite shocked (or surprised) at the response.  Last night I witnessed just that with a group of year 5/6 students.  Their response was as follows.."learning starts for me at 9am and learning stops at 3pm" and "legally I can start learning at 8:30am when my dad says I am allowed on the school grounds and learning stops when I leave school".  What does this tell us as educators? What is in the minds and hearts of our tamariki about real and authentic learning? Does learning only happen at school in their minds? Do we need to be more explicit about the nature of real life learning?  When we fed back to the teachers around the students responses they were really shocked around what learning is and is not and when it occurs.  My challenge to you is to ask some students tomorrow "When does learning happen for you?" and post your replies in here.  I am excited to see any responses.  

Thanks for sharing this Angela Grow Waitaha Roadshow sounds awesome. I've loved using the Grow Waitaha videos for the same reason - really cool to see the students talking.

I've seen teachers ask their students the 'learning question' and then gave the learners digital cameras to capture that. When I've asked, I've got answers back like, We didn't do any work today...because

• we did art
    • we went on a trip
    • we did sports
    • we did the school play

...like they didn't think these activities were learning, after all they were just fun smiley.

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 19

Thanks for sharing this Angela Grow Waitaha Roadshow sounds awesome. I've loved using the Grow Waitaha videos for the same reason - really cool to see the students talking.

I've seen teachers ask their students the 'learning question' and then gave the learners digital cameras to capture that. When I've asked, I've got answers back like, We didn't do any work today...because

• we did art
        • we went on a trip
        • we did sports
        • we did the school play

...like they didn't think these activities were learning, after all they were just fun smiley.

• Angela Vermeulen
          By Angela Vermeulen
          Mar 16

If you are in Canterbury and wish to see this in action come to the next Grow Waitaha Roadshow and hear the hack in action.  Looking forward to hacking #reallearning with the students at Cashmere Primary. 

Latest news
        • Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Join us for a webinar at 3.30pm on Thursday 27 September. Gain some tips to prepare for the conference, receive advice on what to do during and after uLearn, and make the most of your experience. Everyone is welcome, even if you're not attending uLearn – join the webinar on Zoom...
        • ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          SALE! Reduced for a limited time only! $12.00 (NZD)   Kīwaha or idioms are short colloquialisms in te reo Māori. These kīwaha can be used to encourage and/or celebrate achievements.   Product details:   Pack of 15x A6 sized laminated cards Cover card...
        • FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          Do you teach years 7-10? Would you like support in where to begin implementing the digital technologies curriculum content? Then CORE’s new FREE 4-week online course will do just that! Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10: A 2018 Google CS Educator PD Course, starts...
        Event calendar