Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    Computational thinking for school students and teachers - what's the big idea?
    4 May
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

In this clip on, Computational thinking for school students and teachers - what's the big idea? (2016) Dr. Tim Bell, Professor of Computer Science at University of Canterbury NZ talks us through what are Digital Technologies – with the clue being in the name digits, often those digits being 0 and 1, or binary digits or bits.

Start play from 1.03 - 1.28

Binary

Dr Tim goes on to talk about every type of image, text, smell,  DNA and even smell can be presented in a binary form. We can represent numbers using binary or two different values like light/dark high or low etc. We can also represent this without using computers as these students demonstrate so well in this video clip.

Another key idea is - the more bits we have, the more accurately we can represent them – ie: colours, sounds. For example, the more resolution of bits or data, gives us more detailed information. We need to have enough bits to present different ‘languages’, so that people can present themselves properly in their own culture.

Unplugged

In this video, the students also demonstrate Computer Science (unplugged) by creating instructions (programming), testing to see if the programme worked and fixing any errors (debugging). Ie: kids are now kidbots (in the large) instead of robots. Tim then demonstrates the equivalent thinking using digital robots.

Cultural contexts

Amazing what cultural attachment/assumptions we give to colours and instructions. This is where Tim demonstrates the importance of what programmers need to consider, in regards to designing for the human users (from different countries). Tim also shares another simple unplugged activity, that demonstrates the processing of multiple information in a short amount of time.

Take-a-ways

Big idea: Our students need to learn to be citizens in a digital world. It's not always about the devices, bits, bytes - the most important component is the humans in this equation.

Like a magician revealing his tricks, how fun does this look?

Oh I might need to get some help for you on that one Allanah, it looks like it's a public Youtube clip to me? Try this link instead: https://youtu.be/LH7cNtnV5DY

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        May 10

Oh I might need to get some help for you on that one Allanah, it looks like it's a public Youtube clip to me? Try this link instead: https://youtu.be/LH7cNtnV5DY

• Mister_Roberts
          By Mister_Roberts
          May 9

Play the embedded youtube video from 1hr 03 mins, thats when TB speaks

• Allanah King
            By Allanah King
            May 9

Thanks Tessa- I tried to watch Tim's video but it asked me to log in and then I didn't have permission. :-(

Thank you for summarising the video as an hour seemed a bit too long for my short attention span.

Latest news
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
            Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to our edSpace pānui mō te marama Pipiri, our monthly round-up for June 2018. If you're new to edSpace, please feel free to become a member and join in the discussions. Exciting times, we celebrated edSpace turning one this...
          • Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
            Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
            There are only 4 spaces available for the July intake of our online course Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities.  This 20-week, online programme explores how our school communities might better reflect our bicultural heritage and give mana to Te Tiriti o...
          • Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change
            Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change
            Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change A day of interactive, deep experiential learning, designed to help you activate for sustainable, ecological change and build learning futures that everyone deserves. Taking place the day before uLearn18, Tēnei te Tira Hou | Culture of Change...
          Event calendar