Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Ann Milne
    Colouring in the White Spaces
    6 May
    Public discussion Created by Ann Milne

Here are some thoughts from my presentation yesterday in the Education Summit in Christchurch #EdConvo18 that are relevant to our korero coming up at the CORE Breakfast in Wellington on 25 May. What do you think?

The “unsolicited” comments of children about the racist language and practice they experience in school, “surprised” the interviewers in the research carried out jointly by the Children’s Commission and the Schools’ Trustees Association. The Ministry of Education has been reported just last week as advocating that a “bold step” that would make a difference for Maori learners would be to address teachers’ “unconscious bias” towards Maori children. They are right – it would – but I find that hypocritical if we are not going to address the institutional racism endemic in our education policy and practice.

We cannot continue to fudge this issue by using what Kegler calls the “sugar-coated language of White fragility” – using words that let us off the hook, trying to describe racism, “nicely” in ways that are more palatable to us. Unless we are actually unconscious, as in out cold, we cannot be oblivious to the fact that our system only works for some of our children and we can predict who will be at the bottom of our achievement data, with absolute accuracy, before the school year even begins. That’s a rigged game.

Kia ora Ann, thanks so much for sharing this. smiley I see your workshop is very popular which shows educators are ready to engage in this kōrero to find safe ways to face these issues 'head on'. No doubt getting straight to the truth and sharing key principles and a framework for prioritising culture and identity for Māori; will be a highlight for this event.

For those who do miss out on your seminar, we've captured your keynote presentation from uLearn17 and there are also short snippets with educators talking about tikanga Māori and culturally responsive practice in our EDtalks channel

How do others see this unfolding in our schools? What is your gut telling you about  the urgency of addressing our 'unconscious bias' towards Māori students?

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        May 8

Kia ora Ann, thanks so much for sharing this. smiley I see your workshop is very popular which shows educators are ready to engage in this kōrero to find safe ways to face these issues 'head on'. No doubt getting straight to the truth and sharing key principles and a framework for prioritising culture and identity for Māori; will be a highlight for this event.

For those who do miss out on your seminar, we've captured your keynote presentation from uLearn17 and there are also short snippets with educators talking about tikanga Māori and culturally responsive practice in our EDtalks channel

How do others see this unfolding in our schools? What is your gut telling you about  the urgency of addressing our 'unconscious bias' towards Māori students?

• Anaru White
          By Anaru White
          May 7

Tēnā koe e te kaipupuri mōhiotanga, ōtira ki a koutou katoa

Ann, like others I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and asking the critical questions that need to be asked about our education system. 

My gut tells me there is a need for these questions to be asked about the 'unconscious bias' towards Māori so we can learn and support each other. I'm looking forward to following this discussion, adding more and hearing other opinions and solutions.

Mauriora

Ānaru

Latest news
        • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2018
          Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2018
          Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to our edSpace pānui mō te marama Haratua, our monthly round-up for May 2018. Heraclitus once said, the only thing that is constant is change, and as educators, we know only too well how true that is. New developments are underway to...
        • edSpace our networking frontier
          edSpace our networking frontier
          Connect, share and discuss with edSpace edSpace is an online community for educators to gather and share their ideas, practices, resources and more. Online Facilitator, Tessa Gray, explores what edSpace has to offer in her latest blog post. Have a read and then check out...
        • Ki te Ao | May
          Ki te Ao | May
          CORE's May newsletter is out now! It's overflowing with information about the Advanced Leadership programme, uLearn18, an interview with global education expert Valerie Hannon, and much more. Grab a cuppa and have a read: http://bit.ly/2FD1hG3  
        Event calendar