Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

CORE Education
    Culturally responsive practice in Aotearoa
    22 May
    Public discussion Created by CORE Education

For the rest of Haratua (May) and Pipiri (June), we'll be bringing you a collection of short videos (interview, presentations) from thought leaders and innovative educators about ideas, concepts and frameworks for ensuring our practice in schools is inclusive and culturally responsive.

First up, in this 3min video Janelle Riki-Waaka discusses how focusing on what it means to be a school unique to Aotearoa New Zealand and reflecting our bicultural heritage gives mana to Tiriti o Waitangi.

Giving mana to Tiriti o Waitangi in our schools

Janelle asks, how would we know we're in Aotearoa when standing in our school? What would we see/hear in your school?

We'd love to hear how your own thoughts and practice has been impacted in this series of EDtalks whether you've been prompted to question/investigate ideas further or validated/enriched some processes you've already adopted. Either way, we'd love to hear your thoughts in the discussion thread below.

Make connections with your local iwi and people in your community who have the local iwi knowledge to share with you-network with other kaiako who may have the matauranga you need to know. Join a col that may be a focus for the communities of learning. We are very lucky here in Te Tairawhiti as there is a great base of knowledge to draw from. I have opened up my centre for intrested kaiako to come alongside me to get a deeper understanding and experience of what a Iwi localised curriculum looks like. 

- By Erana Manumoe Haerewa
      • Erana Manumoe Haerewa
        By Erana Manumoe Haerewa
        May 23

Make connections with your local iwi and people in your community who have the local iwi knowledge to share with you-network with other kaiako who may have the matauranga you need to know. Join a col that may be a focus for the communities of learning. We are very lucky here in Te Tairawhiti as there is a great base of knowledge to draw from. I have opened up my centre for intrested kaiako to come alongside me to get a deeper understanding and experience of what a Iwi localised curriculum looks like. 

• Tessa Gray
          By Tessa Gray
          May 23

Kia ora and thank you Erana Manumoe Haerewasmiley I can hear your passion and can visualise just how exciting it must be at your place - growing a strong sense of identity and belonging, as you explore the good, sad, mighty stories and celebrations from your tamariki's tipuna.  

Having such a strong cultural grounding and knowing your rich history would take many voices as you say - from historical orators to teachers of kapa haka. What one bit of advice would you have for mainstream early childhood/school educators, if they felt they didn't have these connections with local Māori?

• Erana Manumoe Haerewa
            By Erana Manumoe Haerewa
            May 23

Kia ora,

Our Immersion Maori early childhood centre has embedded our iwi Ngati Poroutanga matauranga throughout our Puna. Our tamariki are exposed to rich cultural learning encompassing tikanga, matauranga, te reo Maori, purakau, whakaari , haka, waiata and  the histories of our tipuna. Our children are excited about their learning and grow to have a strong sense of identity. Our team of kaiako are driven to research with the children and celebrate and bring to life the amazingness of our tipuna, their pukenga, their mana, their maiatanga, their barveness, their fearlessness, innovativeness and creativity. We have so many rich korero to draw from in abundance.

I would love to see an  education system throughout Aotearoa that celebrates localised curriculum and stories of the iwi and navigation stories. Te reo Maori is important and so is the Treaty of Waitangi. Our language is unique to our land and needs to be respected and valued.I am a Leader in my centre with a vision of sharing with our tamariki the language and rich histories as well as the wisdom of our Ngati Porou leaders who were infamous for their strength, mana, outspokeness and their great oratory skills not to mention Kapa haka legends.

Our tipuna were artists, musicians, orators, creative, deeply connected to the land . We have many great examples to follow that will lead us into the future holding steadfast to our own at oneness with the land, and our people. We have a vision for our tamariki to have exposure to examples of role models of excellence and we celebrate them.

"E tipu e rea" Apiranga Ngata's whakatauki is important for us as it guides us everyday and will continue to do so into the future!!

Nga mihi mahana mai Te Tairawhiti

Erana Haerewa

Te Puna Reo o Puhi Kaiti

• Anaru White
              By Anaru White
              May 23

Mōrena rā

I have used this video a number of times with schools, kura and communities I work alongside. The questions posed by Janelle makes you think about the Tiriti in your school, workplace etc setting. I have seen a number of initiatives created from this including collaborative approaches to school-wide policies/procedures, graduate profiles just to name a few.

I'm interested to see what others are doing and any questions you may have.

Kia pai te rā

Ānaru

Latest news
            • Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
              Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
              Join us for a webinar at 3.30pm on Thursday 27 September. Gain some tips to prepare for the conference, receive advice on what to do during and after uLearn, and make the most of your experience. Everyone is welcome, even if you're not attending uLearn – join the webinar on Zoom...
            • ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
              ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
              SALE! Reduced for a limited time only! $12.00 (NZD)   Kīwaha or idioms are short colloquialisms in te reo Māori. These kīwaha can be used to encourage and/or celebrate achievements.   Product details:   Pack of 15x A6 sized laminated cards Cover card...
            • FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
              FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
              Do you teach years 7-10? Would you like support in where to begin implementing the digital technologies curriculum content? Then CORE’s new FREE 4-week online course will do just that! Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10: A 2018 Google CS Educator PD Course, starts...
            Event calendar