Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Viv Hall
    Parent Engagement through digital tools
    20 June
    Public discussion Created by Viv Hall

whana Kia ora e te whānau

Engaging whānau is a priority area of a school I'm supporting in CFPLD.  This year we decided to trial the use of Seesaw to provide parents with information on their child's learning journey.  At first,  the teachers and students trialled  the app becoming familiar with the process and discovering the easy way in which they could communicate. We decided to run a parent's evening to discuss the 'digital' way the school was going to communicate with them.  One of the teachers came up with the idea of having two students per class to prepare a 5 m in brief about some of the activities they used  the digital technology tools in their learning.  That evening we had a great turnout, it enabled us to introduce how we were using SeeSaw, even had the parents using it to post photos etc. then the students set up in little groups,  parents moved around the groups listening to the students talking and showing what they had been doing.  It was perfect - the students shone and were so confident.

Do you have anything that you tried that worked well?  Getting parents to connect is a slow process.

Seesaw I really like that strategy, should work well. One of my schools actually gave parents a list of comments that would be useful to ask! I have to share the following with the  group, as I got permission from Moasina.  I'm supporting the *A'oga Fa'a Samoan, with their Teachers Lead  Innovation Fund project, and one of the tools we are trialling is SeeSaw.

aigaMoasina and the children painted a sign and made a video encouraging their parents to connect. It was sent as an announcement.  The translation from Samoan works well, and people who aren't fluent speakers are also able to participate.

(*Pacific Island Language Early Child hood Centre to be established in New Zealand) 

- By Viv Hall
      • Katrina Laurie
        By Katrina Laurie
        Jun 21

Sounds like a really successful evening! Well done :)

One strategy that I have been trialling is to get students to ask more questions in their posts. A school I work with wants to increase the engagement and deepen learning conversations within Seesaw. By getting the students to ask a specific question about their learning we are hoping the feedback and conversation deepens rather than 'that's cool, good work'. 

I will keep you posted when I gather the impact of this strategy. Also if anyone has tried a similar strategy or wants to give this a go also it would be great to hear from you.

• Viv Hall
          By Viv Hall
          Jun 24

Seesaw I really like that strategy, should work well. One of my schools actually gave parents a list of comments that would be useful to ask! I have to share the following with the  group, as I got permission from Moasina.  I'm supporting the *A'oga Fa'a Samoan, with their Teachers Lead  Innovation Fund project, and one of the tools we are trialling is SeeSaw.

aigaMoasina and the children painted a sign and made a video encouraging their parents to connect. It was sent as an announcement.  The translation from Samoan works well, and people who aren't fluent speakers are also able to participate.

(*Pacific Island Language Early Child hood Centre to be established in New Zealand) 

Latest news
        • Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Webinar: Get the most out of uLearn18
          Join us for a webinar at 3.30pm on Thursday 27 September. Gain some tips to prepare for the conference, receive advice on what to do during and after uLearn, and make the most of your experience. Everyone is welcome, even if you're not attending uLearn – join the webinar on Zoom...
        • ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          ON SALE: Kīwaha - Kēreru Set
          SALE! Reduced for a limited time only! $12.00 (NZD)   Kīwaha or idioms are short colloquialisms in te reo Māori. These kīwaha can be used to encourage and/or celebrate achievements.   Product details:   Pack of 15x A6 sized laminated cards Cover card...
        • FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          FREE Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10 course
          Do you teach years 7-10? Would you like support in where to begin implementing the digital technologies curriculum content? Then CORE’s new FREE 4-week online course will do just that! Digital Technologies Implementation for Years 7-10: A 2018 Google CS Educator PD Course, starts...
        Event calendar