Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    Is the curriculum to blame?
    6 August
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

Checklist My neighbour has transferred two of her children to a local fee-paying school that administers Cambridge curriculum. Several things fall out of that – paying for access to education and a view that a more structured/prescriptive curriculum is helping students’ achievement - more so than a curriculum that is 'open to interpretation'.

Here’s a great read, Developing a local curriculum (NZC Online blog) from Bede Gilmore where he outlines a process at Winchester School, where they match curriculum delivery with the aspirations, values and desires for/of their students. He also asks what's more important, skills or knowledge and references Shane Kennedy's post, Curriculum, the culprit?

What do you think? Is our curriculum 'too open' for interpretation and reliant on individual teacher knowledge and experience, would a curriculum with specific content help build teacher confidence and consistency or is it not that simple? What does curriculum design look like at your place?

CCO Creative Commons image source: Pixabay

I absolutely agree our curriculum is way too open for interpretation and individual teacher knowledge/experience.  You just put in to words what I have been thinking these last few years and highlighted the problem in our curriculum.  At NCEA we have a very "thin" sentence which we are to interpret and then teach and assess how we think the students do in achieving said thin sentence.  Very experienced teachers get frustrated with all the interpretations, software, skills etc.  On the other hand I don't think one specific direction is correct either.  You need a middle ground, for example, here are three ways to tackle this assessment.  Here are the 3 software packages you could use, here are the three sets of skills you should teach . . . blah blah etc etc.  That's how I would do it. I have already complained about the new Level 2 trial standards: lots of new content, absolutely zero support in how to deliver it - and thats pretty much what they have done with the new level 1.  Yes, they have some exemplars - but providing "answers" does really guide teachers through a rich teaching and learning experience for the kids they teach.  As a solo teacher at my school curriculum development was me trialling all the new stuff because I love change and diversity and hate the old standards.  HOwever other than the DTTA forums and hub meetings thats all the consultation I had and many of us rely heavily on that contact.

I'll be honest, 10 years of constant changing and updating our NZ DT curriculum - no time to consolidate and familiarise selves with content, also lack of opportunities to help others develop this curriculum have led to my decision to leave teaching.  Friday is my last day after 14 years excelling in DT teaching.

- By Mister_Roberts
      • Mister_Roberts
        By Mister_Roberts
        Aug 7

I absolutely agree our curriculum is way too open for interpretation and individual teacher knowledge/experience.  You just put in to words what I have been thinking these last few years and highlighted the problem in our curriculum.  At NCEA we have a very "thin" sentence which we are to interpret and then teach and assess how we think the students do in achieving said thin sentence.  Very experienced teachers get frustrated with all the interpretations, software, skills etc.  On the other hand I don't think one specific direction is correct either.  You need a middle ground, for example, here are three ways to tackle this assessment.  Here are the 3 software packages you could use, here are the three sets of skills you should teach . . . blah blah etc etc.  That's how I would do it. I have already complained about the new Level 2 trial standards: lots of new content, absolutely zero support in how to deliver it - and thats pretty much what they have done with the new level 1.  Yes, they have some exemplars - but providing "answers" does really guide teachers through a rich teaching and learning experience for the kids they teach.  As a solo teacher at my school curriculum development was me trialling all the new stuff because I love change and diversity and hate the old standards.  HOwever other than the DTTA forums and hub meetings thats all the consultation I had and many of us rely heavily on that contact.

I'll be honest, 10 years of constant changing and updating our NZ DT curriculum - no time to consolidate and familiarise selves with content, also lack of opportunities to help others develop this curriculum have led to my decision to leave teaching.  Friday is my last day after 14 years excelling in DT teaching.

Latest news
      • Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in Aotearoa: why it's a good fit
        Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in Aotearoa: why it's a good fit
        You've given us feedback in our survey that you'd like to see more support around meeting the diverse needs of learners. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is an approach that can guide inclusive design and practices. Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, and now a major feature of...
      • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
        Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Pipiri 2018
        Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to our edSpace pānui mō te marama Pipiri, our monthly round-up for June 2018. If you're new to edSpace, please feel free to become a member and join in the discussions. Exciting times, we celebrated edSpace turning one this...
      • Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
        Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities
        There are only 4 spaces available for the July intake of our online course Te Whakamānawa - Culturally Responsive Practice in School Communities.  This 20-week, online programme explores how our school communities might better reflect our bicultural heritage and give mana to Te Tiriti o...
      Event calendar