Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

• CORE Education
      Public discussion Created by CORE Education

Morena, I am researching Real-time reporting and community connection to improve learning engagement and levels in our students, for our Auckland based primary school. I am really interested in looking at the different ways schools are approaching Real-time reporting and the successes they are having with it. We are a 1:1 device with all students on chromebooks. As a school we still have 1 'settling into the year report' and 2 '6 monthly written reports'.  The mid-year report has been simplified this year because of other ways we have been connecting with our school community. We also have student led conferences with parents twice a year, at which the students present a goal slideshow they work on progressively throughout the year. The slideshow includes goals students set in 5 different areas of the curriculum each term with reflections and links to work, it also includes assessment levels and links to assessment tasks, results and graphs, and finally examples of their favourite work. These slideshows are shared digitally with family and whanau and can be accessed at any time (if family have the links). This year we also started using the free version of Seesaw to link with our community and share work in real time. We created a list of 'items' to share each term. This is only used by teachers at this point, not students. All our students have personal learning blogs where they share work and activities on a weekly basis. Parents respond well to the slideshows, but don't really have a way of commenting on them, on a regular basis. At present we appear to have a wider community engagement through Seesaw than the student blogs. My questions are does anyone have any recommendations of other reports or documents I could read on the subject? Are other schools using Seesaw for schools to replace reports or with students to replace blogs? Thanks for the discussion thread it is very valuable. Nga mihi. 

- By Shiralee Sands
      • CORE Education

I've just been doing some research lately for a Digital Technologies workshop on telling localised stories and have enjoyed creating my own story in Tour Builder by adding photos and videos. But I'm super impressed with  Google Earth 3D the updates are spectacular - check these videos out...the potential is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KtwMRedAbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XcLcF-huCo

Imagine using this tool to tell stories about our ancestors in te reo Māori?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6pcznVAFWw

Where will your local stories take you? 

- By Tessa Gray
        • CORE Education

I see Micro-credentialing relating well to Real time Reporting and Understanding Success trends. 

I recently had a conversation with a colleague around what Ormiston Junior College is doing and their gamified approach to learning. We started asking the question if any other schools had developed a similar approach and what platform they are using? Is there something already out there that can be picked up and altered to suit the schools localised curriculum.

I started a bit of search after this conversation and I've stumbled across ClassCraft https://www.classcraft.com/

So far I've created a class and I'm exploring the all the possibilities.

• I have the option of building a demo class alongside my own class so I can test out features etc
          • I can build my class around a particular focus (social emotional learning, positive behaviour)
          • Personalise quests with your own curriculum. Create quests that are story driven learning adventures. What I like here is as you are creating the learning quests you have an option of building a story as they progress the learning. You can set a task (either online or not), assign this task (for XP points), create a discussion forum for individuals and teams, Even if its not an assignment you can still reward XP.
          • Formative assessment appears in the form of what is called 'Boss Battles' (I need to explore this feature more)
          • Teacher can see real time data with insights into student motivation
          • There is also an option for you to use lessons/quests already created

I would love to know if anyone is using this in their class or what other platforms are you using with a micro-credentialing approach?

- By Katrina Laurie
          • CORE Education

- By CORE Education
            • CORE Education

- By CORE Education
              • CORE Education

Kia ora @lwoon, so nice to see you in here, long time no see over the hills there!

Snap: I printed off the Ten Trends too to scribbled/circled key points and then went back into the digital PDF to click on the live links smiley. I also saw many synergies in yesterday's Localised Curriculum workshop hosted in Tauranga Moana. I thought it was a fantastic opportunity to open up dialogue around; who our stakeholders are, who has feed-in and the 'biggest voice' when designing and implementing a localised curriculum.

Quick question: Were you looking for the five papers from different authors, including Jan and Derek (Education Council) on Informing Leadership for Communities of Learning? 

Tess smiley

- By Tessa Gray
                • CORE Education

In light of recent events in Aotearoa, the "Wellbeing" and "Schools as part of a community" trends have really got my attention. Our schools have been centres / safe havens in terms of dealing with how our young people are feeling, and our wonderful teaching staff have responded so well to the big challenge in front of them. It would be great to hear some examples here of what you have observed out there, in terms of how schools as part of a community have stepped up to support student wellbeing

- By Tracey Scott
                Latest news
                • uLearn 20 is virtual
                  uLearn 20 is virtual
                  Did you know uLearn20 is virtual this year? For the fist time ever uLearn20 will be delivered online! Now it doesn't matter where you are, everyone can attend uLearn20! Pohewatia te āpōpō | Reimagine tomorrow.    7-8 October 2020  Using an exciting, contemporary...
                • Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
                  Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
                  With Ten Trends 2020 released on Friday, we can’t go past this retrospective look at trends from the last 15 years (and the impact they’ve had on education in Aotearoa). Download the document and explore the trends behind the technology, structural, cultural, economic and process...
                • edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
                  edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
                  Nothing can replace the physical connection that we all need in the form of face to face. So what can we do in the meantime to cultivate the connection they need and we need? By turning up the volume online on the ways we can possibly socially connect. If you are interested in knowing more, why...
                Event calendar