Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

CORE Education
    Ten Trends 2019: Influencers, themes and categories explained
    26 March
    Public discussion Created by CORE Education

As educators we’re often caught up in the everyday here and now of teaching, but nothing ever stands still, and as Derek Wenmoth says in this Ten Trends introductory video, we’re living in exponential times largely as a result of technological advancements in our society. 

One way of ensuring we’re able to face this exponential change with more confidence, is to understand what some of these changes might be ahead of when they emerge. We can do this together by being aware of these trends as ‘sign posts’ that we see around us all the time.

Five key themes in Ten TrendsTwo significant themes impacting the nature of these trends – is Exponential change and Digital disruption - both are drivers of change in all facets of our lives, including education.

In this framework, the ten trends are situated within five key themes or categories (Technology, Structural, Process, Economic, Cultural) which are often referred to in future-focused literature. For more detailed breakdown of the these five categories, see our CORE website, http://core-ed.org/research-and-innovation/ten-trends/.

In each of these themes there is one trend that has an immediate implication for schools, while the second looks at something more disruptive, that requires us to think about in preparation for the future. The guiding questions in each section invite us to consider how these trends influence education and visa versa.

Over time, we will dive deeper into each of the Ten Trends and invite YOU to unpack these further, discuss the implications in your educational setting and share any examples in practice; so that we can become more informed and equipped to adopt and embrace these trends in education.

QuestionsWhat are your thoughts so far about the drivers for change, the significant themes and five categories influencing and impacting the trends? 

Does something ignite your interest or give you cause for concern? We'd love to hear what you think as we embark on some future-gazing together.

Kia ora @lwoon, so nice to see you in here, long time no see over the hills there!

Snap: I printed off the Ten Trends too to scribbled/circled key points and then went back into the digital PDF to click on the live links smiley. I also saw many synergies in yesterday's Localised Curriculum workshop hosted in Tauranga Moana. I thought it was a fantastic opportunity to open up dialogue around; who our stakeholders are, who has feed-in and the 'biggest voice' when designing and implementing a localised curriculum.

Quick question: Were you looking for the five papers from different authors, including Jan and Derek (Education Council) on Informing Leadership for Communities of Learning? 

Tess smiley

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 28

Kia ora Linda Woon, so nice to see you in here, long time no see over the hills there!

Snap: I printed off the Ten Trends too to scribbled/circled key points and then went back into the digital PDF to click on the live links smiley. I also saw many synergies in yesterday's Localised Curriculum workshop hosted in Tauranga Moana. I thought it was a fantastic opportunity to open up dialogue around; who our stakeholders are, who has feed-in and the 'biggest voice' when designing and implementing a localised curriculum.

Quick question: Were you looking for the five papers from different authors, including Jan and Derek (Education Council) on Informing Leadership for Communities of Learning? 

Tess smiley

• Linda Woon
          By Linda Woon
          Mar 27

Thanks for this article. Have downloaded the Ten Trends because my old eyes find the printed word easier to read and highlight. My copy is book marked , highlighted and underlined all over the place.

that is because the timing is great for us as we have been working through the local curriculum development from the time Chris Hipkins came on the throne. Long live the king! It is great to have this full freedom to explore what our graduates will need, and to be able to develop observable measures to track progress.

Each of the Ten Trends has given us another lens by which to review our progress in this curriculum development process.

Thank you. They are succinct, and evidenced. The only one I couldn't track down was Jan Robertsons five papers that she presented to the COLs. We elected to not join one for a number of reasons. How can us ordinary  and unaffiliated schools get a copy, other than tracking Jan down?

Latest news
        • Introducing uLearn19 themes
          Introducing uLearn19 themes
          Citzenship. Disruption. Innovation. Setting the agenda for CORE uLearn19 Pohewatia te āpōpō. Learn more about this years themes and focus questions. http://bit.ly/2CD9vzh.
        • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-tanguru 2019
          Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-tanguru 2019
          Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to a new school year and our very first pānui mō te marama Hui-tanguru for 2019. We've already kicked off the year with our Treaty Talks and the release of CORE's Ten Trends 2019. There's lots more on the agenda for...
        • CORE Ten Trends 2019 released today!
          PLEASE NOTE: To reply to discussions around the Ten Trends 2019, join the CORE Ten Trends group first.
        Event calendar