Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

CORE Education
    Shining a spotlight on uLearn19 Spotlights
    29 July
    Public discussion Created by CORE Education

A vigorous, rich, localised curriculum in a secondary context? We can't wait to find out more. Check out the team @ Our People, Ormiston Junior College and don't miss out of this innovative panel session at uLearn19. Tell us what are you're hoping to hear more about from this team in the discussion box below.

Some of our students like to doodle, some to 'tutu', and explore the challenges of world like Māui, so how can we support our tamariki to harness and strengthen their creative abilities? Do you have students in your class like Janelle is talking about? Are you hoping to find some innovative ways to motivate them to be more creative? Tell us what are you're hoping to hear more about in the discussion box below.

We've heard of the A.I, big data and the numbers and data that surrounds us everyday, so how can we use that data and our own human stories to inform ourselves and help make better decisions about our lives? Lillian Grace (Founder of Figure.NZ) will share her knowledge on what has changed with digital technology and what is now possible. If this interests you too don't miss Lillian Grace talking at uLearn19. Any questions for Lilian, please feel free to add these below?

Looking for innovative ways to put your students at the centre of learning in a secondary school context? Then join this panel with Maurie Abraham, Principal of Hobsonville Point Secondary School, Daniel Birch, Principal of Hobsonville Point Primary School, Nicola Ngāwera Principal of Spotswood College and Paula Wine, Deputy Principal of Rototuna Junior High School as they discuss ways to 'disrupt school' in a secondary context, because the existing secondary school model is now irrelevant. Want to know more? Feel free to dive in below and ask Maurie, Daniel, Nicola and Paula some questions before you see them at uLearn19.

"after all, humans are creating digital solutions in response to human need. Perhaps some thinking needs to be wrapped around what that means"

Yeah - agree totally. Design Thinking gives a good window into this sort of thing, particularly with its Empathy, or Discovery phase (depending on your preferred explainer of DT.

In the spotlight, my emphasis will be more on the way that tech can disenfranchise us, and the way that Digital Technologies (incorporating Systems, Design and Computational thinking) can empower us to understand our world rather than perceiving everything as a black box.

My workshop will look at Design and Systems as well as Computational thinkings, building on (but not dependent on) the spotlight

- By martinlevins
      • martinlevins
        By martinlevins
        Oct 4

"after all, humans are creating digital solutions in response to human need. Perhaps some thinking needs to be wrapped around what that means"

Yeah - agree totally. Design Thinking gives a good window into this sort of thing, particularly with its Empathy, or Discovery phase (depending on your preferred explainer of DT.

In the spotlight, my emphasis will be more on the way that tech can disenfranchise us, and the way that Digital Technologies (incorporating Systems, Design and Computational thinking) can empower us to understand our world rather than perceiving everything as a black box.

My workshop will look at Design and Systems as well as Computational thinkings, building on (but not dependent on) the spotlight

• Tessa Gray
          By Tessa Gray
          Oct 4

martinlevins, thank you for highlighting your session here as well. How timely (as you know) to be highlighting rich opportunities for students to use digital tools that exemplify Computational Thinking and Designing and Developing Digital Outcomes - both new technological areas of the Technology learning area of NZC. 

As we explore these areas I think digital fluency (digital literacy and digital citizenship) become integral to accessing and using technologies appropriately, safely, wisely and ethically; after all, humans are creating digital solutions in response to human need. Perhaps some thinking needs to be wrapped around what that means, what haven't we thought about and what can go wrong...Can't wait to hear more from yourself Martin @ uLearn19 

• martinlevins
            By martinlevins
            Oct 2

Gerday persons. I'm doing a spotlight on how Digital Tech can offer great opportunities for student voice and choice, and a workshop on playing with microbits, based around keeping a garden alive over the holidays

I've had a good look at the NZ curriculum (I'm from over the ditch) and have seen a lot of similarities with the Aussie situation.

I'd love to hear from delegates—particularly their views on digital citizenship, and understanding of Computational thinking

Cheers
            Martin

Latest news
          • ACCELERATOR workshops
            ACCELERATOR workshops
            Would you like the opportunity to grow new ideas? And maybe break some rules? ACCELERATOR is for you! This exciting and immersive experience is designed to speed up change in teaching and learning by activating innovative solutions.      ACCELERATOR utilises a...
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
            Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to the latest pānui (round-up) for edSpace, May 2019.  We've got some exciting stories to roll out around CORE's Ten Trends and we are building up to uLearn19 October, 2019 with a series of posts that profile a mixture of...
          • Calling all uLearn19 presenters
            Calling all uLearn19 presenters
            Are you interested in sharing your learning experiences at uLearn19? Extend yourself and try your hand at presenting.  Hold a 60-90 minute workshop, 25 minute taster session, 2 minute digital smackdown or a pop-up maker-space. Why not think about presenting your peer reviewed paper at Kia...
          Event calendar