Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Anne-Louise Robertson
    Thinking about thinking and machine thinking
    29 November
    Public discussion Created by Anne-Louise Robertson

I am just working my way through some feedback from a DT workshop I ran last week.  This comment about 'thinking about thinking' and machine thinking were made in a reflection activity.  I had a stab at responding but the end of a workshop wasn't the best place for a deep discussion so I said that I would explore the question further.  I would welcome any thoughts...

thinking about thinking

Machine thinking

Thanks Tessa.  Yes - is science fiction now science fact? As a counterpoint, Jay Shetty says -"if their thinking is wired like ours, if their behaviour is based on the foundation of ours then they will simply be infinitely enhanced version of us...their creativity and deficiencies will be defined by ours.... " He talks about rethinking the way we think and resetting our priorities so that we imbue robots with empathy, kindness, integrity. "Anything that we fear is simply a reflection of our flaws."

We Create Our Own Reality - Technology Vs Humanity by Jay Shetty (Artificial Intelligence)

- By Anne-Louise Robertson
      • Clive Francis
        By Clive Francis
        Dec 2

thinking about thinking really does get you thinking!

it led me to Artificial Intelligence machine plays video games like a pro and the Connected Series article from TKI called Emotional Robots. I think (!) these would make excellent discussion starters.

But, what does Google think? It's possible that your results will be different to mine as the algorithm has been written to think differently about the results it provides depending on who is asking the question.

machine learning and AI are certainly fascinating fields to explore.

• Anne-Louise Robertson
          By Anne-Louise Robertson
          Dec 9

Ha! That is a key point, Clive - what I get and what you get as results might be quite different. That's a whole other conversation, isn't it? The ethics of "Big Brother" watching you and monitoring every click and then crunching the data to tailor-make your results is a huge issue. The benefits it brings - faster returns, relevance to my beliefs and experiences. And the negatives - narrowing exposure to different points of view, 'feeding' prejudice. Reminds me of the Eli Pariser's Tedtalk "Beware of the Filter Bubble". How do we encourage people to think critically about what they read and develop the skills to do so? 

Thanks for those two links - I'll have a good read. I think this area of the DT curriculum content is perfect for Social Studies and English teachers to explore alongside their colleagues in the technology learning area. Play to your strengths but build connections between subjects. 

• Tessa Gray
            By Tessa Gray
            Dec 11

Interesting connections with thinking, we programme the computers after all! So...if networked computers talk to each other (singularity) and can learn and relearn 'without specific instruction', will AI become the dominant form of intelligence on Earth, where computers or robots take control over the human species or kill us? (AI takeover) Sounds like science fiction or is it?

• Anne-Louise Robertson
              By Anne-Louise Robertson
              Dec 12

Thanks Tessa.  Yes - is science fiction now science fact? As a counterpoint, Jay Shetty says -"if their thinking is wired like ours, if their behaviour is based on the foundation of ours then they will simply be infinitely enhanced version of us...their creativity and deficiencies will be defined by ours.... " He talks about rethinking the way we think and resetting our priorities so that we imbue robots with empathy, kindness, integrity. "Anything that we fear is simply a reflection of our flaws."

We Create Our Own Reality - Technology Vs Humanity by Jay Shetty (Artificial Intelligence)

Latest news
            • Meri Kirihimete from edSpace
              Meri Kirihimete from edSpace
              Meri Kirihimete me te tau hou koa, see you all again in the new year.
            • edSpace reaches a new milestone
              edSpace reaches a new milestone
              Woohoo over 3,000 members have now joined edSpace (CORE Education's community of practice). Congratulations everyone, you're part of a bigger whānau. This is your place to connect with like-minded colleagues; talk about trends in education and what matters most for you, as teachers...
            • ACCELERATOR workshops
              ACCELERATOR workshops
              Would you like the opportunity to grow new ideas? And maybe break some rules? ACCELERATOR is for you! This exciting and immersive experience is designed to speed up change in teaching and learning by activating innovative solutions.      ACCELERATOR utilises a...
            Event calendar