Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Jacky Young
    Video - why teach DT?
    4 February
    Public discussion Created by Jacky Young

This video was included in the Feb 2020 Education Gazette, talking with various IT industry people about the need to teach DT in schools. It is the first in a series of videos.

Future-focused learning in schools and kura | Digital Curriculum & Hangarau Matihiko – episode 1

But wait, there's more! I'm sure they said it would be a series of 4 but here's #5 and presumably there'll be an article to accompany ....

And here's the complete YouTube playlist and EdGazette articles

This time it's all about industry partnerships. Some food for thought about the value and practicalities of making that happen. I suspect the realities are that there's a heap of work in getting it off the ground and my understanding of 123tech.co.nz has been that the mentoring aspect has been a good idea in theory but has not been so easy in practice.

I'll add it to the discussion thread on EdSpace so they are all together there.

Techweek may look a little different this time around and when he mentions how our tech sector is only second in terms of revenue to our tourism sector it brings home how suddenly things have changed...

Stay safe, connected and well,

- By Clive Francis
      • Clive Francis
        By Clive Francis
        Mar 25

But wait, there's more! I'm sure they said it would be a series of 4 but here's #5 and presumably there'll be an article to accompany ....

And here's the complete YouTube playlist and EdGazette articles

This time it's all about industry partnerships. Some food for thought about the value and practicalities of making that happen. I suspect the realities are that there's a heap of work in getting it off the ground and my understanding of 123tech.co.nz has been that the mentoring aspect has been a good idea in theory but has not been so easy in practice.

I'll add it to the discussion thread on EdSpace so they are all together there.

Techweek may look a little different this time around and when he mentions how our tech sector is only second in terms of revenue to our tourism sector it brings home how suddenly things have changed...

Stay safe, connected and well,

• Clive Francis
          By Clive Francis
          Mar 16

The lucky last...

Rolleston College

"if I need to learn it for my project I can - it's great that school has all that available for me"

connections with industry / internships

importance of failure / iteration / end users / designing for end-user regardless of curriculum area

• Clive Francis
            By Clive Francis
            Mar 2

https://gazette.education.govt.nz/articles/curriculum-of-awe-and-wonder/

#3 - Newlands Intermediate

Students leading with their passions.  Leadership choosing to employ teachers who are happy to take a risk. Learner agency. Project based learning. Growth mindset. 

• Clive Francis
              By Clive Francis
              Feb 21

and here is the next episode... again, well worth a watch as it covers digital fluency and digital technologies from leadership, teacher and student perspectives...

• Viv Hall
                By Viv Hall
                Feb 5

Ka pai Jacky

Agree Tessa, a very timely publication.  I used this yesterday in a TOD which resulted in a robust discussion.  Top of mind for most was the focus on collaboration, creativity, problem-solving and the importance of "soft skills'.  Linking it to discussions with people from community and business helped make sense for many of the group. 

A 'must watch'. 

• Tessa Gray
                  By Tessa Gray
                  Feb 4

Thank you Jacky, you wouldn't believe how timely this video was for me!

Yesterday I received an email requesting readings, or research around the merits of BYOD devices for a parent inquiry. I responded with the usual links to effective practice etc and also discussed the merits of e-Learning and Digital Technologies with strong links to the findings in The Future of Jobs Report from the World Economic Forum (2018), but this video you shared cut through all of that.

It's not about the technology, its about what's good for society as a whole.

So thanks for sharing, look forward to the next episode. smiley

Latest news
                • uLearn 20 is virtual
                  uLearn 20 is virtual
                  Did you know uLearn20 is virtual this year? For the fist time ever uLearn20 will be delivered online! Now it doesn't matter wheere you are, everyone can attend uLearn20! Pohewatia te āpōpō | Reimagine tomorrow.    7-8 October 2020  Using an exciting, contemporary...
                • Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
                  Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
                  With Ten Trends 2020 released on Friday, we can’t go past this retrospective look at trends from the last 15 years (and the impact they’ve had on education in Aotearoa). Download the document and explore the trends behind the technology, structural, cultural, economic and process...
                • edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
                  edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
                  Nothing can replace the physical connection that we all need in the form of face to face. So what can we do in the meantime to cultivate the connection they need and we need? By turning up the volume online on the ways we can possibly socially connect. If you are interested in knowing more, why...
                Event calendar