Tony Cairns
    Teaching, learning and modelling in the time of covid19
    3 April
    Public discussion Created by Tony Cairns

Kia ora Tessa and the Discussion Group

Here is my 2 cents worth on what i am doing

i am happy to help anyone in any way

email me or reply on this board if i can help

I am at home like the other 4,812,346 New Zealanders and 70,000+ visitors trying to return home from NZ. I am working on Simulation and modelling COVID19 in NZ to try and work out when we can return to face to face teaching (knohi ki te kanohi) or onsite.

Ministry of Education thought 22 April 2020 but that was a week ago which is a lifetime in a pandemic.

We are using STILE.com which gives us hour by hour minute by minute real-time online interactive contact for lessons, feedback and teaching with all our learners and differentiation on topic, interests, completion, complexity as well as easy access to all learners. We can ask for re submission on any and all questions and have thousands of lessons in  hundreds of topics at multiple levels. We also use Google classroom, zoom, google hangouts, online kamar, shared google drives, g suites and microsoft (but not yet teams though we have done workshops and webinars on that too. We are ready to use online free scipad too but holding back till we see how the physical write and feedback via images works in term 2 from 15 April 2020

Mostly i am fielding Biology 91603 questions and General Science feedback marking and tests and these take many hours a day to give spoken and written feedback on the many lessons and many students - each lesson takes 20 minutes to 30 minutes for students and up to 5 minutes to marka nd feedback but wih 60 students that results ina lot of virtual work

In my down time i am modeling the virus in NZ and running 3 simulation packages from CDC, Imperial college and NZ universities (Auckland Canterbury and Otago) I have the data points tracking Ok daily but the variables can blow out at any time and ruin teh projections and for me the important endpoint for lockdown so i know when i can reschedule internals and topics, lessons and events - like returning to school.

The key factor is the move from social distancing to full lock down as it results in morbidity increases, length of pandemic in NZ and viability, chances and length of time to exterminate/eliminate or control the virus in NZ

cheers tony cairns

Tags include

covid19, covid, coronavirus, offsite learning, digital learning, simmulating COVID19, epidemiology, pandemics, STILE.com, Google classroom, Google Suite, Lockdown, When will it end, Kanohi ki te Kanohi, face to face, 

Latest news
    • uLearn 20 is virtual
      uLearn 20 is virtual
      Did you know uLearn20 is virtual this year? For the fist time ever uLearn20 will be delivered online! Now it doesn't matter where you are, everyone can attend uLearn20! Pohewatia te āpōpō | Reimagine tomorrow.    7-8 October 2020  Using an exciting, contemporary...
    • Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
      Ten Trends 2020: A retrospective report
      With Ten Trends 2020 released on Friday, we can’t go past this retrospective look at trends from the last 15 years (and the impact they’ve had on education in Aotearoa). Download the document and explore the trends behind the technology, structural, cultural, economic and process...
    • edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
      edSpace live event: Cultivating Social Connection online
      Nothing can replace the physical connection that we all need in the form of face to face. So what can we do in the meantime to cultivate the connection they need and we need? By turning up the volume online on the ways we can possibly socially connect. If you are interested in knowing more, why...
    Event calendar