Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Sam McNeill
    Reviewing some new research around Learning Tools from MSFT
    24 October
    Public discussion Created by Sam McNeill

Kia ora katoa,

I want to link to a review I've done of a recent research paper around whether or not Learning Tools (free via Microsoft) can support the literacy of students. This was conducted by http://www.katherinemcknight.com/ for RTI International.

My review, along with links to both the original research and my annotated copy, is included below:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2017/10/24/research-improving-literacy-with-learning-tools/

Full disclosure - for those who I don't know, I joined MSFT this year as part of their education team, but have a background in teaching both English and Social Sciences in Decile 2-3 high schools, as well as ICT Director at an independent schools in NZ.

What I found most interesting about this research is it is a response to feedback from schools saying they want quicker turnaround on research that is relevant and up to date. This may, arguably, reduce the robustness of the research - I invite you to make up your own mind. I also call out the tendency of potential bias in any research around a commercial product, but I think the author certainly cautions the reader appropriately.

I know there are many literacy experts in this forum so certainly welcome any feedback or insights you may want to share in response.

Cheers

Sam

Latest news
    • edSpace live event: Interactive learning online
      edSpace live event: Interactive learning online
      Heard of Flipgrid? Used Answer Garden, JamBoard or played Kahoot?  These easily accessible online tools are a great way to invite interaction, participation and collaboration from near or far. Want to know more? Come and join us this Thursday, 1pm (9 April), for a special, free live...
    • Friday 3 April updates
      Kia ora e te whānau, we hope this update sees you well. Our international friend and mentor, Wesley Fryer has published a blog, 3 Ways to Become a More Connected Educator During the COVID-19 Crisis. He writes, As we grapple as teachers with how to maintain wellness and self-care...
    • Day 6: Level 4 PLD support for schools
      Kia ora e te whānau, Day 6, Level 4: We hope you've all settled into a new routine and finding moments for yourselves and well as juggling a new work-life balance. We're thinking of you during this time as we self-isolate alongside you (from home). As you know, the government...
    Event calendar