Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Lynne Silcock
    Reflections on UDL in practice - inclusive education in the classroom
    17 January
    Public discussion Created by Lynne Silcock

What can you do to be more inclusive? What makes it hard?

Being more inclusive is complex and different in every context. What are the key drivers for you?

Nice reflections Suzi.

The comment re time is resonating with me. We know we all learn in different ways and some people quickly grasp new ideas while others need more time to process.

This is challenging both as a facilitator (with time bound workshops) and in schools where learning is time bound (e.g. you have 3 weeks to complete this unit of work).

When a set amount of time is allocated to learning a specific thing all we know for certain is that:

• Some people will quickly learn it or will already know it so will be bored
    • Some will not learn it in time so will be left with gaps in building blocks

For me this reinforces the importance of students having personalised learning pathways.... and the partner/enabler to personalised pathways is agency and metacognition - the ability to set goals, meet targets, reflect on learning etc.

- By Lynne Silcock
      • Lynne Silcock
        By Lynne Silcock
        Sep 26

Nice reflections Suzi.

The comment re time is resonating with me. We know we all learn in different ways and some people quickly grasp new ideas while others need more time to process.

This is challenging both as a facilitator (with time bound workshops) and in schools where learning is time bound (e.g. you have 3 weeks to complete this unit of work).

When a set amount of time is allocated to learning a specific thing all we know for certain is that:

• Some people will quickly learn it or will already know it so will be bored
        • Some will not learn it in time so will be left with gaps in building blocks

For me this reinforces the importance of students having personalised learning pathways.... and the partner/enabler to personalised pathways is agency and metacognition - the ability to set goals, meet targets, reflect on learning etc.

• Suzi Gould
          By Suzi Gould
          Sep 24

A key driver for me is my underpinning philosophy that it is not if you are intelligent but how. Varied models of representation of learning would have supported me greatly at secondary school, how sad that I had to leave school to find out I was intelligent!  

As a result of my own experiences and working with diverse groups of people I try to remove barriers and think about preparing learning experiences that; 

• provide video access  ( with captions where possible and be proactive about requesting these from favourite videos without them. This was driven home when a woman from a workshop came to thank me for the learning and make me aware that she had a hearing aide and the video 'adaptable minds'  was inaccessible to her and nor did it always provide faces she could lip read from)) 
          • share short and long versions of text
          • use images and plain language
          • consider time as a valuable resource i.e. make activities self paced and agentic 
          • allow you to dip yourself into the learning as deeply or shallowly as you choice
          • consider the environment as the third teacher 

It can be hard to implement UDL due to time. However I find I now select resources with UDL in mind, pus working collaboratively allows us all to curate knowledge and build learning experiences that follow universal design for learinng principles. 

Latest news
        • Announcing: uLearn18 prize winners
          Announcing: uLearn18 prize winners
          Thank you to all those who visited the exhibition hall during uLearn18! There were lots of great prizes up for grabs. Congratulations to the following people who were among the winners:   Beagle Innovations Prize: $200 Mt Difficulty wine voucher Winner: Michelle...
        • uLearn18 is underway!
          uLearn18 is underway!
          Welcome to uLearn18, the wait is over! You'll find a rich collection of what's happening trending in Twitter, but if you want to chat more in-depth, exchange resources, ask questions, share ideas - feel free to start a discussion in the uLearn discussion group with your fellow...
        • STEAMing hot… Breakout 4 - 11.15am - 12.45pm Thursday 11th October
          STEAMing hot… Breakout 4 - 11.15am - 12.45pm Thursday 11th October
          Are you ready to indulge in a STEAMing hot conversation? Then this is the place for you. This is a Live Streamed Connected Educator Conversation. Five presenters share their experiences around how they are raising the capability of learners, connecting with authentic audiences, and making a...
        Event calendar