Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Tessa Gray
    Te Ao Māori me te Hangarau Matihiko
    7 March
    Public discussion Created by Tessa Gray

As we know, exciting things are on the horizon for digital technologies in our education for both NZC and TMOA and what a beautiful metaphor – a cluster of whetū (stars) as the visual representation of plotting or navigating Hangarau Matihiko.

Hangarau Matihiko

Wahine Tane

E rua ngā Anga Tupuranga Hangarau Matihiko me ōna whakatupuranga ka taka iho i te aho Hangarau Matihiko.

Te Ao Māori me te Hangarau Matihiko, is the understanding, that computational thinking is nothing new, it has always been a way of life for Māori. Think Tāne, Māui, Kupe, then we think about tipuna (ancestors), and we realise just how fundamental resilience, problem solving, collaboration and creativity (pakirehua) have been for Māori to respond to real world issues and needs; to succeed and become a strong, proud, resourceful people of today.

As we gaze to the stars and navigate a new way forward, how will our young people call on the skills, knowledge of their ancestors and create new possibilities that is, Te Ao Māori me te Hangarau Matihiko? 

http://hangaraumatihiko.tki.org.nz/

Image source: Wikipedia

Tēnā koutou e hoa mā

I was in a kura this week talking about the new Dt & HM content and talking about the opportunities for the learners and community. I shared the Hangarau Matihiko website and in particular the examples

Hei konā

Anaru

- By Anaru White
      • Anaru White
        By Anaru White
        May 30

Tēnā koutou e hoa mā

I was in a kura this week talking about the new Dt & HM content and talking about the opportunities for the learners and community. I shared the Hangarau Matihiko website and in particular the examples

Hei konā

Anaru

• Tessa Gray
          By Tessa Gray
          May 25

Kia ora, I’ve just been looking into maps about ethnic migration and in particular fascinated by the history and stories (some we’ve got wrong) about Māori migration to New Zealand. A couple of things struck me, early Māori arrived in Aotearoa:

• in carefully crafted double hull waka;Waka at Waitangi
          • a long time ago – thousands of years of migration;
          • over time - not one isolated incident;
          • and also emigrated out of Aotearoa as planned events - not by accident or  blown off course as some previously thought;
          • each tribe (iwi) are descendants of the ancestors of those waka - all with different stories associated to each;
          • first migrants all demonstrated sophisticated ancient knowledge of the stars, ocean currents as well as migration of migrational creatures like birds and whales.

The knowledge of the stars is passed down to us to this day in the tukutuku weaving which adorns the walls of our carved and embellished whare (houses). Many of these tukutuku panels descend from the star charts carried by ancient navigators. https://maaori.com/people/maoriara.htm

Māori have long had a close affinity and relationship with the earth and the skies, the lands and the seas, as well as with all the creatures of the earth which also becomes an integral part of introducing creative ways to problem solve using the modern tools and digital technologies of the day. Now jump forward a thousand years or so...

In 2016, Microsoft New Zealand partnered with technology education group OMGTech! and CORE Education to translate the Minecraft coding sessions into te reo Māori for the ‘hour of code’. They all wanted to make sure young Māori were being encouraged to engage in digital technology by having digital resources available in Te Reo Māori. Our very own, Wawaro Te Whaiti of CORE Education says;

“This is a fairly new realm for Te Reo Māori and requires some very careful thinking about terminology and the development of language. We’ve made a great start, but there is still a lot more to achieve,” Minecraft tutorials now available in Te Reo for ‘Hour of Code’

Anne Taylor, Schools Manager for Microsoft New Zealand, says

“The Hour of Code teaches kids the basics of coding, and how to use digital skills to help create, innovate and solve problems, and it is critical for the next generation of students of be equipped with these skills for future jobs, regardless of the industry.” Minecraft tutorials now available in Te Reo for ‘Hour of Code’

Here’s a taster of some of those resources in Te Reo Māori, for more about their purpose and potential see, Microsoft tutorials now available in Te Reo for 'Hour of Code' and the resources @ https://code.org/learn

Screenshot of hour of code resources in te reo maori

Coding doesn't just have to happen once a year (or in an hour), it can become a regular part of a learning day. In Rotorua, tamariki and rangatahi have been learning about computer science and coding through making games - like building a marae in Minecraft to show how tikanga Māori can be used in a digital space.

“We want to level the digital playing field for Māori and show tamariki and rangatahi that while coding is part of a new future, it can still acknowledge the whakapapa of the past,” Potaua tells us. How can you make your own Minecraft?

Are there any other resources, top tips or ideas you'd like to share where students have dabbled in computer science, the language of digital technologies as well as Te Reo Māori and Te Ao Maori?

Also see:

Image source: Māori waka at Waitangi Dirk Pons

• Anaru White
            By Anaru White
            Mar 15

Kia ora Tessa

I agree the cluster metaphor is perfect and computational thinking is nothing new when we think of our tīpuna. The Hangarau Matihiko site has a series of pictures of the whetū and was a great discussion starter at a recent hui I attended about Hangarau Matihiko.

Hei konā

Anaru

Latest news
          • uLearn18 is underway!
            uLearn18 is underway!
            Welcome to uLearn18, the wait is over! You'll find a rich collection of what's happening trending in Twitter, but if you want to chat more in-depth, exchange resources, ask questions, share ideas - feel free to start a discussion in the uLearn discussion group with your fellow...
          • STEAMing hot… Breakout 4 - 11.15am - 12.45pm Thursday 11th October
            STEAMing hot… Breakout 4 - 11.15am - 12.45pm Thursday 11th October
            Are you ready to indulge in a STEAMing hot conversation? Then this is the place for you. This is a Live Streamed Connected Educator Conversation. Five presenters share their experiences around how they are raising the capability of learners, connecting with authentic audiences, and making a...
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2018
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Mahuru 2018
            Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the latest edSpace pānui mō te marama Mahuru - a round-up of activity from across edSpace for September, 2018.  It's been a busy month in the community as we ready ourselves for uLearn18 (Oct 10-12), CORE's annual...
          Event calendar