Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Nicki Tempero
    Activities in Seesaw
    14 March
    Public discussion Created by Nicki Tempero

The Activity option in Seesaw has really been a game changer for many.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 10.19.24 AM.png

There are many activities already shared in Seesaw for all different ages. These options are a great place to start before tweaking already created activities or designing your own.

My wondering is how are you incorporating activities into your programme and incorporating UDL and SAMR to move away from worksheet substitution?   It does take time to develop ideas!.

How can we apply the SAMR model into activities?

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 10.18.27 AM.png

Great question Nicki!! This is something I have discussed with quite a few teachers this year. It is too easy to get caught up in digitising something that is just a complete substitute. 

I think using the SAMR model as a sort of check as as you are creating what you want the students to achieve is a good start. Ensuring that the activity does have that added functionality that they could not have done otherwise. I think having the audio instructions support the UDL approach.

Also, ensuring that activity does support and enhance the learning goal for the students. For example today I was with a wonderful teacher whose students had challenges around the word 'with'. She looked through some pre-made templates and the word 'with' was not there. So now she has challenged herself to create the template, find the special tracing font and create one specific to her students needs. 

Remember to add to Allanah's crowd sourced doc if you have any examples to share. Would love to see how other teachers are using activities and where it does sit on the SAMR model. 

- By Katrina Laurie
      • Katrina Laurie
        By Katrina Laurie
        Mar 14

Great question Nicki!! This is something I have discussed with quite a few teachers this year. It is too easy to get caught up in digitising something that is just a complete substitute. 

I think using the SAMR model as a sort of check as as you are creating what you want the students to achieve is a good start. Ensuring that the activity does have that added functionality that they could not have done otherwise. I think having the audio instructions support the UDL approach.

Also, ensuring that activity does support and enhance the learning goal for the students. For example today I was with a wonderful teacher whose students had challenges around the word 'with'. She looked through some pre-made templates and the word 'with' was not there. So now she has challenged herself to create the template, find the special tracing font and create one specific to her students needs. 

Remember to add to Allanah's crowd sourced doc if you have any examples to share. Would love to see how other teachers are using activities and where it does sit on the SAMR model. 

Latest news
      • Ki te Ao | December
        Ki te Ao | December
        Our final newsletter for the year is here, packed full of great resources for you to read and watch over the summer break!. Grab a cuppa and have a read.  
      • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi 2018
        Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi 2018
        Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the latest edSpace pānui mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi, a round-up of activity from across edSpace for November, 2018.  It's been a busy month for teachers as they wind down the year, finish reports and start planning for...
      • Ki te Ao | November
        Ki te Ao | November
        CORE's November newsletter is out now! Looking back on uLearn18, celebrating Learnz as Education award winners 2018, the latest CORE blogs and PLD opportunities for 2019. Grab a cuppa and have a read: http://bit.ly/2D9V86E  
      Event calendar