Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Katrina Laurie
    'Fortnite'- A topic around digital citizenship
    14 June
    Public discussion Created by Katrina Laurie

Kia ora

In the last week the information and media around the game 'Fortnite' seems to have heightened, a game played by 40 million people worldwide. I recently held 2 parent sessions on digital citizenship and the game Fortnite was a part of the presentation.

Most parents were aware the game and their child played it. One parent had caught her son playing it at 3am! Teachers have also had conversations in their classrooms and students as young as 6 are playing. Common Sense Media recommends 13+ for this game! Something I've heard a lot of lately is 'oh yeah it is violent but there's no blood". Mmmm, does this make it appropriate then? Also, the celebrity endorsements are growing and the amount of people just watching other people playing the game on YouTube. 

Here are some of the latest media articles about the game:

This next site was shared with me yesterday and it gives you a breakdown of the game. (positives and negatives)

It's been designed as an addictive game and cannot be paused when playing. We all need to be aware of strategies to help our young people cope with games like this. Especially with wellbeing being an important topic of this current climate.
    Some of the things I have been thinking of to support parents if their children are playing this game (or similar):
    1. Setting a time limit with your child on devices.
    2. Always have the devices and child in a common area and not up in their bedroom.
    3. Communication! Keep involved with what your child is doing online. Lots of talking!
    4. If they are playing a game such as this, it recommends that you give plenty of notice for them to stop. 

What other strategies can you offer? I'd love to hear about what works for others and how you have coped with incidents around device addiction (it's real) and cyber bullying. 

Ngā mihi,
    Katrina
    Latest news
    • Ki te Ao | December
      Ki te Ao | December
      Our final newsletter for the year is here, packed full of great resources for you to read and watch over the summer break!. Grab a cuppa and have a read.  
    • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi 2018
      Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi 2018
      Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome to the latest edSpace pānui mō te marama Whiringa-ā-rangi, a round-up of activity from across edSpace for November, 2018.  It's been a busy month for teachers as they wind down the year, finish reports and start planning for...
    • Ki te Ao | November
      Ki te Ao | November
      CORE's November newsletter is out now! Looking back on uLearn18, celebrating Learnz as Education award winners 2018, the latest CORE blogs and PLD opportunities for 2019. Grab a cuppa and have a read: http://bit.ly/2D9V86E  
    Event calendar