Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Karl Summerfield
    Humans, not users
    15 February
    Public discussion Created by Karl Summerfield

This is an interesting post from a design mailing list I belong to. It's aimed at professional designers but makes a great point about putting the person back into your design thinking. Could be good to keep in mind as we start asking students to consider the "end-user":

https://johannesippen.com/2019/humans-not-users/

I read this with interest. I do believe that the human element of design is absolutely essential and the language that we use is often dehumanising. I guess I hadn't really thought about the word 'user' and how much it could make us forget that the user is a person or people. For me, the important thing is around thinking about accessibility - how can all people, with all their varying needs access and interact with the technology, the digital outcomes we create? My wee hobby horse at the moment is 'alt text' and I talk about that a lot with teachers when we discuss DDDO. The other thing is thinking about who designed and created the digital outcomes that already exist out there, who owns them, how have they shared them, for what purpose and what rights and responsibilities do we have when we choose to use them in our own designs and creations?  Our discussions have included legal, moral and ethical issues around copyright and Creative Commons. Many teachers have very little understanding in this area and I feel that we have a responsibility to encourage them to find out more and upskill... which means we have to as well!

- By Anne-Louise Robertson
      • Anne-Louise Robertson
        By Anne-Louise Robertson
        Feb 24

I read this with interest. I do believe that the human element of design is absolutely essential and the language that we use is often dehumanising. I guess I hadn't really thought about the word 'user' and how much it could make us forget that the user is a person or people. For me, the important thing is around thinking about accessibility - how can all people, with all their varying needs access and interact with the technology, the digital outcomes we create? My wee hobby horse at the moment is 'alt text' and I talk about that a lot with teachers when we discuss DDDO. The other thing is thinking about who designed and created the digital outcomes that already exist out there, who owns them, how have they shared them, for what purpose and what rights and responsibilities do we have when we choose to use them in our own designs and creations?  Our discussions have included legal, moral and ethical issues around copyright and Creative Commons. Many teachers have very little understanding in this area and I feel that we have a responsibility to encourage them to find out more and upskill... which means we have to as well!

• Catherine Johnson
          By Catherine Johnson
          Feb 15

Great post Karl and an excellent focus as we exist in this crucial time of repositioning humans as the drivers, not being driven by technological advancement. The intention of the Tech learning area maybe?

Thoughts from others?

Latest news
        • ACCELERATOR workshops
          ACCELERATOR workshops
          Would you like the opportunity to grow new ideas? And maybe break some rules? ACCELERATOR is for you! This exciting and immersive experience is designed to speed up change in teaching and learning by activating innovative solutions.      ACCELERATOR utilises a...
        • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
          Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
          Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to the latest pānui (round-up) for edSpace, May 2019.  We've got some exciting stories to roll out around CORE's Ten Trends and we are building up to uLearn19 October, 2019 with a series of posts that profile a mixture of...
        • Calling all uLearn19 presenters
          Calling all uLearn19 presenters
          Are you interested in sharing your learning experiences at uLearn19? Extend yourself and try your hand at presenting.  Hold a 60-90 minute workshop, 25 minute taster session, 2 minute digital smackdown or a pop-up maker-space. Why not think about presenting your peer reviewed paper at Kia...
        Event calendar