Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

CORE Education
    Launching the Ten Trends 2019
    22 February
    Public discussion Created by CORE Education

If you missed it on Thursday 21st February, we launched the CORE Ten Trends 2019 in our Facebook live feed with Derek Wenmoth chatting to us about the new Ten Trends for 2019, the drivers influencing this change and examples in educational contexts. Today the Ten Trends 2019 are available for download from the CORE website. There's some exciting and thought-provoking discussion points for educators to engage with. 

CORE Ten TrendsIn 2019, we have chosen to focus more specifically on where all of this is leading in terms of the relationship between this technological change and our responses as humans. We consider the responsibility we have to ensure that in the midst of such complex and persistent change, we don’t abdicate our humanity and the things that make us ‘human’. (CORE Ten Trends 2019, p3)

You can still view this video below. Please note: Link in the image leaves this page.

Derek Wenmoth talking

Towards the end, Derek invites us to download the Ten Trends 2019 PDF fileengage with the content and each other. Tell us what you think? What is the first thing you're going to do with CORE Ten Trends 2019?

To reply to this discussion, join the CORE Ten Trends group FIRST.

In light of recent events in Aotearoa, the "Wellbeing" and "Schools as part of a community" trends have really got my attention. Our schools have been centres / safe havens in terms of dealing with how our young people are feeling, and our wonderful teaching staff have responded so well to the big challenge in front of them. It would be great to hear some examples here of what you have observed out there, in terms of how schools as part of a community have stepped up to support student wellbeing

- By Tracey Scott
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Mar 4

I was there for the launch, thank you Derek for whetting our appetite for this year's release of the Ten Trends. I see CORE Education has been publishing the Ten Trends for 10 years now. What a feat!

The first thing I did when I downloaded the CORE Ten Trends for 2019, was I wanted to see what’s been shaping these influences over the past 6 years, so I could see where we’re heading to 'stay ahead of the curve'.

While the five key themes have stayed the same, the trends and influencers have changed slightly over the years. For example, Cultural theme: In the past, we’ve been addressing what it means to for our students to have ownership and agency of their learning, what is it means to live in a digital world, developing digital fluency, Makerspace and Artificial Intelligence. We also looked at honouring cultural diversity and now the shift this year is towards wellbeing and cultural narratives. I look forward to exploring these trends more, seeing examples in practice and finding out what this means in each of our localised contexts.

What key theme and/or trend has your school/kura focused on up till now and how do you see this changing for you in 2019?

• Tracey Scott
          By Tracey Scott
          Mar 5

The "Changing role of teachers" is a Trend that really pushes my buttons! Having been out of the classroom (but still in education) for 17yrs now, I'm staggered by observing the changes in this - by following my 7 and 17 yr old children's progress.

• Anne Kenneally
            By Anne Kenneally
            Mar 6

Thanks Tessa and Tracey for starting the ball rolling in here. I have to admit that "the changing role of the teacher" is a trend I am particularly interested in. The people centric nature of a number of trends is great to see. I am thoroughly enjoying sharing these trends with educators and beginning discussions. I am looking forward to seeing our discussions grow as we get voice, video and discussion amped up in here!  Thanks team.

• Tracey Scott
              By Tracey Scott
              Mar 25

In light of recent events in Aotearoa, the "Wellbeing" and "Schools as part of a community" trends have really got my attention. Our schools have been centres / safe havens in terms of dealing with how our young people are feeling, and our wonderful teaching staff have responded so well to the big challenge in front of them. It would be great to hear some examples here of what you have observed out there, in terms of how schools as part of a community have stepped up to support student wellbeing

Latest news
            • ACCELERATOR workshops
              ACCELERATOR workshops
              Would you like the opportunity to grow new ideas? And maybe break some rules? ACCELERATOR is for you! This exciting and immersive experience is designed to speed up change in teaching and learning by activating innovative solutions.      ACCELERATOR utilises a...
            • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
              Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
              Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to the latest pānui (round-up) for edSpace, May 2019.  We've got some exciting stories to roll out around CORE's Ten Trends and we are building up to uLearn19 October, 2019 with a series of posts that profile a mixture of...
            • Calling all uLearn19 presenters
              Calling all uLearn19 presenters
              Are you interested in sharing your learning experiences at uLearn19? Extend yourself and try your hand at presenting.  Hold a 60-90 minute workshop, 25 minute taster session, 2 minute digital smackdown or a pop-up maker-space. Why not think about presenting your peer reviewed paper at Kia...
            Event calendar