Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Anne-Louise Robertson
    No point teaching coding....
    24 February
    Public discussion Created by Anne-Louise Robertson

Interesting article but comments attached also make good reading... What are your thoughts?

https://www.tes.com/news/no-point-teaching-coding-says-pisa-chief

I think it's a matter of progress - as was the progressional development from the chiselled rock, to papyrus, to the feather quill to the computers we use today. 

Yes to a focus on Computational Thinking and I like the diagram below (shared in Kia Takatū ā Matihiko pīkau (online course) in Computational Thinking: International perspective) which outlines the concepts and approaches needed for computational thinking. Having said that, I agree not all students will go on to be computer scientists (or programmers), but it doesn't hurt to think like one.

I think there are also specific elements of programming that a computer does, and may well need in the future. ie: sorting data, comparing variables. While text-based programming languages differ slightly, they still have those elements/rules in common. That's not to say computers might function very differently to how we understand them to work today...

I'm just starting my learning here too, so a good debate to have, thanks Anne smiley

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Feb 27

I think it's a matter of progress - as was the progressional development from the chiselled rock, to papyrus, to the feather quill to the computers we use today. 

Yes to a focus on Computational Thinking and I like the diagram below (shared in Kia Takatū ā Matihiko pīkau (online course) in Computational Thinking: International perspective) which outlines the concepts and approaches needed for computational thinking. Having said that, I agree not all students will go on to be computer scientists (or programmers), but it doesn't hurt to think like one.

I think there are also specific elements of programming that a computer does, and may well need in the future. ie: sorting data, comparing variables. While text-based programming languages differ slightly, they still have those elements/rules in common. That's not to say computers might function very differently to how we understand them to work today...

I'm just starting my learning here too, so a good debate to have, thanks Anne smiley

• Clive Francis
          By Clive Francis
          Feb 26

"For example, I would be much more inclined to teach data science or computational thinking than to teach a very specific technique of today."

- therein thankfully lies the difference between the English National Curriculum and our own!

• Barend
            By Barend
            Feb 25

"No point teaching coding" ... I understand why he says that ...

However, I believe teaching students computational thinking is essential. It transcends learning areas.

Latest news
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-tanguru 2019
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Hui-tanguru 2019
            Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to a new school year and our very first pānui mō te marama Hui-tanguru for 2019. We've already kicked off the year with our Treaty Talks and the release of CORE's Ten Trends 2019. There's lots more on the agenda for...
          • CORE Ten Trends 2019 released today!
            PLEASE NOTE: To reply to discussions around the Ten Trends 2019, join the CORE Ten Trends group first.
          • What's your professional learning focus in 2019?
            What's your professional learning focus in 2019?
            Kia ora tatou and welcome back to 2019. A new learning year is upon us, new students in front of us, new teaching and learning goals and foci across the school/kura. Whatever direction you're taking, leading or learning; we have solutions to support you. Check out the up-coming events and...
          Event calendar