Ngā Matapakinga | Discussion

Anne-Louise Robertson
    No point teaching coding....
    24 February
    Public discussion Created by Anne-Louise Robertson

Interesting article but comments attached also make good reading... What are your thoughts?

https://www.tes.com/news/no-point-teaching-coding-says-pisa-chief

I think it's a matter of progress - as was the progressional development from the chiselled rock, to papyrus, to the feather quill to the computers we use today. 

Yes to a focus on Computational Thinking and I like the diagram below (shared in Kia Takatū ā Matihiko pīkau (online course) in Computational Thinking: International perspective) which outlines the concepts and approaches needed for computational thinking. Having said that, I agree not all students will go on to be computer scientists (or programmers), but it doesn't hurt to think like one.

I think there are also specific elements of programming that a computer does, and may well need in the future. ie: sorting data, comparing variables. While text-based programming languages differ slightly, they still have those elements/rules in common. That's not to say computers might function very differently to how we understand them to work today...

I'm just starting my learning here too, so a good debate to have, thanks Anne smiley

- By Tessa Gray
      • Tessa Gray
        By Tessa Gray
        Feb 27

I think it's a matter of progress - as was the progressional development from the chiselled rock, to papyrus, to the feather quill to the computers we use today. 

Yes to a focus on Computational Thinking and I like the diagram below (shared in Kia Takatū ā Matihiko pīkau (online course) in Computational Thinking: International perspective) which outlines the concepts and approaches needed for computational thinking. Having said that, I agree not all students will go on to be computer scientists (or programmers), but it doesn't hurt to think like one.

I think there are also specific elements of programming that a computer does, and may well need in the future. ie: sorting data, comparing variables. While text-based programming languages differ slightly, they still have those elements/rules in common. That's not to say computers might function very differently to how we understand them to work today...

I'm just starting my learning here too, so a good debate to have, thanks Anne smiley

• Clive Francis
          By Clive Francis
          Feb 26

"For example, I would be much more inclined to teach data science or computational thinking than to teach a very specific technique of today."

- therein thankfully lies the difference between the English National Curriculum and our own!

• Barend
            By Barend
            Feb 25

"No point teaching coding" ... I understand why he says that ...

However, I believe teaching students computational thinking is essential. It transcends learning areas.

Latest news
          • ACCELERATOR workshops
            ACCELERATOR workshops
            Would you like the opportunity to grow new ideas? And maybe break some rules? ACCELERATOR is for you! This exciting and immersive experience is designed to speed up change in teaching and learning by activating innovative solutions.      ACCELERATOR utilises a...
          • Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
            Hei Pānui edSpace | mō te marama Haratua 2019
            Tēnā koutou, talofa lava, malo o lelei and welcome back to the latest pānui (round-up) for edSpace, May 2019.  We've got some exciting stories to roll out around CORE's Ten Trends and we are building up to uLearn19 October, 2019 with a series of posts that profile a mixture of...
          • Calling all uLearn19 presenters
            Calling all uLearn19 presenters
            Are you interested in sharing your learning experiences at uLearn19? Extend yourself and try your hand at presenting.  Hold a 60-90 minute workshop, 25 minute taster session, 2 minute digital smackdown or a pop-up maker-space. Why not think about presenting your peer reviewed paper at Kia...
          Event calendar